Gardening in semi to full shade

karimiOctober 6, 2006

I have a lot of trees which i am not allowed to eliminate, I love them, but I need some color in the yard. This yr I tried impatiens around the trees with compost. They are struggling. Anyone sucessful? I need help. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Impatients take a lot of water I think.

How about hosta, hydrangeas, astillbe for some perennial color...along with some spring flowering bulbs. My daffs are planted in shade, and bloom b4 the leaves come on, and do just fine.

have you checked out the Garden In Shade Forum? It doesn't look very active right now, but you might read through the posts and get some more ideas.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening In Shade Forum

Bookmark   October 6, 2006 at 6:30PM
micke(6)

What kinds of trees are they? If they are black walnut you need to be careful what you plant around them. believe it or not I have planted iris around some of my trees and they do just fine without being in full sun.

Bookmark   October 10, 2006 at 11:13AM
daisy_me(Z6b IL)

Also.......toad lilies, ferns, carex, heuchera/tiarella/heucherella, brunnera, and bergenia.....

Bookmark   October 20, 2006 at 12:10PM
jaceysgranny(7aAR)

Primrose, azaleas and rhododendrons, you could also try some of the blue grasses. I have some Elijah's blue fescue beneath some pines. I also have a rose bush that has been planted beneath a bunch of pines and a cedar (just to the front of them) for 10 years that outdoes itself each year. My irises didn't ever bloom under my pines so I've had to move them all but some small rhizomes still pop up each year. When I lived in Mississippi I had loads of white irises beneath a chinaberry tree so it may just depend on the tree and I also have some purple ones under an oak now that is extremely dry that bloom. You might also want to try some succulents, sedums, hens and chicks of different colors too. Good luck with whatever you plant.

Nancy

Bookmark   October 20, 2006 at 7:59PM
karimi

Thanks everybody for your help, I have oak trees and they have very active roots.

Bookmark   December 16, 2006 at 1:44AM
susie_gardener_2007(OK 7)

Hello!
I live in the woods too and I'm not allowed to cut any trees, but I finally talked hubby into limbing up some of them. I've had good luck growing irises, crinum lilies and amaryllises. The amaryllises bloomed like crazy and they were red. I just hope they make it through the winter since I didn't dig them up.

Also I had plumbago, crape myrtle, althea and hydrangea in big pots under the trees. The plumbago bloomed really well. I use big pots because I have clay and rocks to deal with. Going to have to build some raised beds. But I'm afraid to add too much soil around the bottom of the trees. I've heard it will kill the trees.

Good luck,
Susie

Bookmark   January 24, 2007 at 10:08PM
More Discussions
HAVE: Succulents
I have haworthia limifolia, blue agave (tequilana )...
jolene_2010
Looking for a chinese evergreen cutting
I'm looking to propagate a chinese evergreen as I'm...
Megan Carmeli
Have: grape hyacinth bulbs
I got these from mail order as a free gift. I allready...
tamela_star
looking for unusual, edibles prefer tubers
Hi folks I am looking for edibles you will not find...
atl_veggie
WANTED: Kudzu Wanted
Looking for kudzu cuttings in exchange for the following: catnip...
AndreaFarmer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™