alcea - hollyhocks don't get flowers

joanfordyceOctober 23, 2007

I HAVE HOLLYHOCKS IN MY BACKYARD THAT FLOWERED FIRST YEAR,BUT FOR THE LAST 2 YEARS,JUST GET A MOUND OF LEAVES.IS THAT NORMAL?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Below I have copied and pasted a similar question and answer I found on the web. Hope it helps.

Q: I planted a few hollyhocks two summers ago. They bloomed and flowered beautifully, but now I have tons of plants showing up. Last year I left them alone, but they never produced flowers. I eventually tore them out. I don't know if I bought biennial or perennial plants. I really love them and want them to reproduce, but with no flowers, the plants look like weeds. I love lilacs and have a few of them in my garden. Are lilacs a type of the plant that if I cut off the flowers they will keep blooming? (e-mail reference)

A: I wouldn't rip out all the hollyhocks. Keep just enough plants to keep your garden from looking weedy. You may have biennial hollyhocks that require another cold period before they will flower. Lilacs will flower every year if you harvest the flowers. The flower buds are set for the following year on the subsequent growth that takes place after they flower. If you prune the plants late in the summer, you will remove the flower buds for the following year.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: copied from this source

Bookmark   October 26, 2007 at 9:52PM
More Discussions
Lily bulbs to trade
Have lily bulbs, blooming size, ready to plant. Asiatic Black...
woodthrush
Wanted snow drops for clematis
I have some extra clematis that I bought and would...
KarenPA_6b
HAVE: VooDoo Lily ~ S. Venosum Corms
Please reply here or email me at gaffenstein@gmail.com The...
dethcheez
Wanted: Iris
I am addicted to Iris and will gladly pay postage for...
lynnthegardener
HAVE: named daylilies, peonies and iris
I have for trade, a bunch of named daylilies, iris...
LoveMyDirt900
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™