strawberries

queensinfoApril 18, 2012

I posted this to the fruit forum but no replies, so i will give it a shot here. I planted 25 bareroot seascape strawberries in window boxes 3-4 weeks ago. The plants all have 3-5 large leaves and have been putting out some flowers. I know that I am supposed to pinch them off in the beginning (and runners too, although i havent seen any of those yet). How long should i keep pinching off flowers? end of april? mid may?

Also, when pinching off flowers do i pinch off each individual flower head or the whole stem (which looks like it has 4-7 other little flowers in various stages of development).

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sanctified(Zone 5)

I have planted strawberries for the first time this spring and didn't know to pinch off the flowers. I hope we get some good details here.

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 3:35PM
susan2010(6 Massachusetts)

My understanding is that picking off blooms is something people do during the first year to establish a strawberry patch. I don't believe it is useful for strawberries in containers. The biggest drawback is that you won't get any fruit. I plant them in baskets and consider them an annual (i.e. replanted every year).

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 7:10PM
nycgarden(6)

Hi there,
I've been growing strawberries going on 4 years now and never pinched off flowers. I started with one plant and now have about 60 that I generated from potting the runners.

After berries are harvested, I mark the plants that were most productive and keep those runners for next year.

These plants are very hardy and pretty easy. Good luck with your plants

Here is a link that might be useful: My gardenblog

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 9:54PM
More Discussions
Type of kale... Also, shiny metallic flakes?
Hey, my friend gave me some kale seeds from her plants...
Josie Murray
Coarse Perlite for 5:1:1
Hi all, first off is "coarse" the correct...
halocline
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Any issues planting in copper pots?
I have some old copper containers I want to use for...
garden_dogs
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™