Ammonium Sulfate for citrus?

brownmolaApril 1, 2014

So I have a few newly planted 5-1-1 container citrus. I am using Dynamite Citrus CRF and am using a Foliage Pro with very watering. Does anyone use Ammonium Sulfate with their container citrus?

I used Ammonium Sulfate for the first time ever for my in ground citrus about a month ago and am seeing a lot of new growth on citrus that had been losing a lot of leaves.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ronalawn82(z9FL)

brownmola, ammonium sulfate contains 21% nitrogen - all totally water soluble.
I cannot envisage it as the only fertilizer for citrus - except as a 'starter' for young plants - and then only in very dilute concentrations.
Here is a description of the product.

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 9:39AM
nil13(z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Washington))

You can absolutely use ammonium sulphate on your container citrus. It is an easy way to give a nitrogen dose to a plant. Just dissolve it in water and fertigate. Calculate out your desired ppm and add enough to warm water to hit that target.

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 11:40AM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

You can use it if you think your plant needs more "N".
I use it sometimes on my onions, garlics and other leafy veggies.
I think it also tends to acidify the soil a bit (not too much) due to presence of Sulfur in it.

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 12:14PM
brownmola

Thanks guys! The citrus I have in pots was pretty neglected when they were in the ground and I want to try and push some growth/greening on them and thought dissolved Ammonium Sulfate would help. 1 tsp or Tbs per gallon sound okay?

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 2:18PM
BahamaDan ZTropic

Hullo brown,

Sorry no one responded so far but if it's not too late: usually for Ammonium Sulphate 1/4 per 2.5 gal once per week is fine, it's very easy to overfertilize with it since it contains so much N by weight, so best to start out with such a dosage. Bear in mind that's for container plants, so in ground something slightly higher (maybe 1/2 tsp) with lots of watering should be okay. I'll link a forum with some pictures of blueberry growth using that dosage ;)

Regards,
Dan

Here is a link that might be useful: One and 7 yr blueberry growth with pictures

Bookmark   January 26, 2015 at 6:13PM
brownmola

Thanks, I have actually transplanted the citrus into the ground and have been using Ammonium Sulfate in the soil in granule form. So far it has worked really well. Might try citrus in a container again later this year.

Bookmark   January 26, 2015 at 7:05PM
BahamaDan ZTropic

Glad to hear it, have any pictures of the update?

I'm on my way to pick up a bag of Hi-Yield Ammonium Sulfate today, how do you apply your granular/what rate?

Bookmark   February 4, 2015 at 4:46PM
brownmola

I'll see if I can get some pictures up, but both citrus are doing really well. Both have super dark green leaves and new growth whereas they were pretty sickly looking before and had dropped lots of leaves. I'm not super exact on measurements, basically once a month I spread about the equivalent of a 1/2 of a red Solo cup of granules for each tree.

Bookmark   February 5, 2015 at 12:33AM
More Discussions
I have a cold, south facing porch. What container flowers might grow?
It's cold there now. In a few weeks nothing will free...
Blue Hills Gardens and Designs
To find popular threads try this...
When you are looking for popular threads from the GW...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Cor-ten planters safe for growing edibles?
I'd like to grow some edibles but the best sun is in...
midwestgal67
zone 9 or so best roses for containers
what are your best roses for container gardening
zippity1
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™