calla lilly

sandy2_gwNovember 6, 2008

I purchased a couple calla lillies this summer and now I am not sure how to take care of them through this winter. I did bring them in their pots and should I keep them in the pots and water once a week like I do my other plants that I bring in for the winter? I do live in zone 5. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Hi Sandy2,

I found this post over at The Bulb Forum. Can I keep my bulbs in a pot outside over the winter
It addresses storing pots of callas in a garage or unheated area, but no mention is made of watering them. You might ask on that thread, or even start a new one.

Sue

Bookmark   November 6, 2008 at 10:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolyn18810(z5)

Sandy -

I know I am posting this late, but I just found this posting. I overwinter calla lily bulbs every year without any problems. I keep them with my dahlias and crocosmia that overwinter. Everything is put into my attic, right at the top of the stairwell. My attic is not heated, yet the heat from the stairwell seems to be enough to keep all of my tender bulbs/tubers from freezing to death. This method has served me well for a number of years without any problems.

How did you overwinter them? I see you posted this in early November.

Bookmark   March 27, 2009 at 8:16AM
More Discussions
looking for unusual, edibles prefer tubers
Hi folks I am looking for edibles you will not find...
atl_veggie
HAVE: Have Orange Thanksgiving Cuttings
As soon as the weather warms up, I will be repotting...
debbie_ms
WANTED: Rudbeckia maxima, Asclepias
Would like to set up a spring trade for Rudbeckia maxima,...
lovesblooms
Have: Daffodil bulbs
Moms daffs have gotten out of hand and she is asking...
cinnie0 (z 9b / So Cal)
WANTED colocasia pinapple princess
Lost this one a few years ago and it seems to have...
miketropic
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™