What are Field peas w/ snap?

yngfiremanFebruary 21, 2009

What are Field peas w/ snaps called as far as seeds? When cooked the peas are brown and the snaps are green. You'll find them in the south at alot of your buffet style resturants. I can't find the name of this type vegetable. If you know please give all the names you know for them. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bamagrit(8)

you'll find field peas listed as 'Southern Peas' in most catalogs or web sites.

Bookmark   February 21, 2009 at 2:36PM
farmerdilla

They are cowpeas/southern peas (Vigna unguilata). The ones that you are describing are the small Iron or Clay cultivars. These are green shellies and the snaps are the the tender pod broken into pieces like a snap bean. All cowpeas can be used, but only the Iron and Clay are generally called "field" peas. In the north the yellow English pea (Pisum sativum) is also called a field pea.
Tommy pea w/snaps

Here is a link that might be useful: Field peas- southern

Bookmark   February 21, 2009 at 4:22PM
knittlin(8b)

Little Red Peanut Peas are a brown-seeded cowpea, as are Whipporwill Peas and some types of crowder peas. Maybe it's one of those?

Bookmark   February 21, 2009 at 8:48PM
oldpea(8)

Great information, farmerdilla, I've been wondering what field peas/with snaps were.
The Iron and Clay southern peas are available in packets at www.sandhillpreservation.com.
Wish I had known this before placing my order.

Bookmark   February 21, 2009 at 8:55PM
farmerdilla

Here, field peas are a staple in the dried beans sections of Krogers, Bilo, Food Lion and other grocery chains. You might want to check if you really want to grow them. I prefer larger ones, these are tedious to shell by hand. They are even smmaller than White Acre or Lady. I use them mostly for a green manure crop and I usually just get them at the grocery store.

Bookmark   February 21, 2009 at 9:05PM
oldpea(8)

Haven't seen them here, dried. I used to buy them canned but don't see them anymore. Great taste.
The frozen field peas (as they were called) were not the same thing. Larger and nasty tasting.

Bookmark   February 21, 2009 at 9:16PM
yngfireman

Thanks for the help. But, now can you tell me where I can find them. I have looked everywhere. Thanks

Bookmark   February 23, 2009 at 11:44AM
farmerdilla

Yngfireman; As Oldpea posted above, they are available in small quantities from Sandhill. http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/catalog/pea_cowpea.html
The link that I gave you, has them in quantity (50 lb bags)
Most of the feed and seed stores here carry them by the lb. They are also available here in the dried beans section of the grocery stores right next to the Blackeye peas. Most will be mixed Iron and Clay.

Here is a link that might be useful: Iron and Clay peas

Bookmark   February 23, 2009 at 12:18PM
yngfireman

Thank you very much for all the help farmerdilla. This picture is what we are talking about correct? Thanks again!http://www.sylviassoulfood.com/FieldPeas.html

Bookmark   February 24, 2009 at 12:23AM
pls8xx

yngfireman, There are a great many types of southern peas and even more sub-varieties. Most are used as dry peas. In my area there are two that are used fresh (indicated by the snaps). For the one pictured on the can that you linked, my guess would be they are Mississippi Silver. In my opinion, an even better fresh pea is the Pink Eye Puplehull, which comes in several sub-varieties.

Keep in mind that these peas require a longer cooking time than most bean type vegies.

Bookmark   February 24, 2009 at 5:32AM
farmerdilla

yngfireman; I am not familiar with that brand, but all the canned ones I have tried were the small Iron and Clay. They do can Blackeyes, White Acre and others but usually state the type on the label. I agree with pls8xx that Cream peas, pinkeyes, etc are better choices for home gardeners. However, for me, cooking time is less than half that of common beans (P. vulgaris) whether snaps, shellies or dried. They are easy to overcook especially as snaps.

Bookmark   February 24, 2009 at 9:32AM
rodger(8SC)

Bakers creek heirloom seeds at rareseed.com and southern exposure seeds at southernexposure.com both have a good selection of southern peas. Rodger

Bookmark   February 24, 2009 at 2:05PM
ahappysoul_rocketmail_com

Glory makes a Southern Style Field Peas and Snaps. According to their nutritional info on the can it is Field Peas (Small Green Peas) with Snaps (String Beans) with a pork base.

Bookmark   February 14, 2011 at 1:28PM
More Discussions
Best kind of mulch for vegetable garden
What kind of mulch is recommended for a veggie garden?...
Peter
Planting Oca in Tubs?
Has anyone done this with any success? How big a tub...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
What's the best way to fertilize/enrich a large garden plot?
I have a community garden I'm working on with over...
srj19
Romaine Lettuce help
So I plant 3 sets of 3 romaine plants about 2 1/2 weeks...
robbversion1
FRUSTRATED in the California High Desert
I have been trying to grow a garden in the desert for...
zephyr66
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™