When should I harvest my radishes?

jemsister(7)April 25, 2014

They have been in ground for 33 days. They look like they are rounding out (some more than others), but the leaves aren't very big. So are they not ready yet? In the grocery store, the greens are rather large. Am I doing it wrong, or is it okay to pull them when the greens are small? Let me show you a pic of how they look right now. Not all of them have bulbed this big. I'd say they are about 1/2 inch across. I just sorta scraped away some of the soil to show, so only about 1/2 of it is showing. I think the variety is called sparkler? Thanks for the help. FWIW, we have had a lot of rain or gray days, very little sun, so could that be why the greens are so small? I will post pics of the bulb and the greens.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jemsister(7)

Here are the greens (the rows are alternated lettuce and radish).

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 3:07PM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

I'd be tempted to eat that one! I like the fact that your leaves aren't very big. The radishes might get really big. I don't think there's any hard and fast rule about radishes.....you can eat them anytime.

Bookmark   April 26, 2014 at 12:43AM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

Usually the top of the radish will emerge from the soil when ready, but yeah you can eat them anytime. Some take longer than stated. Up to 60 days, but the regular radishes if left too long become hard, so I would try one, but if small give them another 7-10 days. Soon! You may find uneven ripening, some ready, others need more time. You will learn a lot from this crop and get a better feel next time.

Bookmark   April 26, 2014 at 1:53AM
jemsister(7)

Thanks, guys! I did go ahead and pull some. They were small, but tasted great! Last time I tried to grow radishes, the roots didn't do anything. Later I found out that you need to thin them early. So I feel moderately successful this time. I'm curious to see what the next ones do. I planted another crop that is a couple of weeks old, and I just planted a third crop (I think it will stay cool enough). Hope all goes well! =P I'm growing lots of new things this year--spinach, lettuce, chard, broccoli, kale... I had none of that the last two years. I grew spinach in a pot once, and someone gave me a potted lettuce once, but that's it. This is my third garden (very small garden, more like a hobby sampler, LOL!)

Bookmark   April 26, 2014 at 2:08AM
More Discussions
Wicking more water retentive soils
I was wondering what the disadvantages are when using...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
What to plant in 4 1/4 Gallon Food Grade Buckets?
I was recently given about 20 4 1/4 gallon food grade...
MikeinPA_Zone5b
Indoor vegetables and 5-1-1
I'm growing vegetables indoors in containers. Is the...
gardev
Transplanting between containers
I'm looking for a rule of thumb for proper transplanting,...
cakbu z9 CA
Root bound jasmine separation
HI.. It is a first time I disturbed a rootball of...
amriteanukul112
Sponsored Products
Midnight Cheetah Rug 7'9" x 10'1" - CHEETAH
$1,759.00 | Horchow
Rectangular Round Edged Tray
Classic Hostess
Del Monte Foods - Pet Food 5.5 oz. Turkey & Giblets Dinner 9Lives Canned Cat Foo
$33.99 | Hayneedle
Sights Office Chair in Black
$69.00 | LexMod
Mia Chrome Three-Light Square Canopy Bath Fixture with Habanero Glass
$391.50 | Bellacor
Kim Coulter 'Reminiscence I' Giclee Canvas Art
Overstock.com
Carpet Edging: Instabind Flooring Outdoor Marine Style Carpet Binding in Black
Home Depot
Zaneen | Ai-Pi Ceiling (small)
$136.00 | YLighting
People viewed this after searching for: