Bush Bean Question

sharbear50(6a Bella Vista)April 6, 2013

I hope I can get some good advise from all the knowledgeable people here. I am not new to gardening but now I am in South Florida and things are different here. Argh.
1.I want to grow some bush beans in pots. What size pot should I use? Should I use something larger than the 1 or 2 gal landscape pots, like a 5 gal bucket? Or would the pots be ok?
2.Also, I bought some seeds at the local HD store, planted about 10 seeds and only 2 seeds grew. Same problem with the Nasturtium Seeds. Where should I buy good seeds?
3.Should I use any particular type of potting soil? I am just using HD's garden soil for veggies.
Thanks in advance, any help much appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sjkly

Generally garden soil is too heavy for containers, it doesn't drain well, it gets too compact etc.
HD seeds generally germinate just fine for me-how long did you give them?

For bush beans the depth of the container isn't horribly important-you need more square footage on top-so I use Rubbermaid 10 gallon containers-the storage containers-just put drainage holes in them.
I plant about 12 plants in one of those and get a mediocre crop-they don't produce as heavily as pole beans.

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 4:16PM
More Discussions
Meyer Exploding in 5-1-1
My meyer lemon in 5-1-1 is just going nuts right now....
Jay Part Shade (Zone 10B, S21, Los Angeles)
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Al and others..Foliage Pro fertilizer?
I just wanted to get an update on what you think of...
meyermike_1micha
Need help identifying a few plants from a photo
Can someone please identify the plants used in this...
Merci Ava Maria
To find popular threads try this...
When you are looking for popular threads from the GW...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™