Planting Basil in Planters

bullylady(5)April 13, 2011

I'm getting desperate for fresh basil that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, it's too early to put my basil in the ground here as we are still getting freezes, but I was thinking of planting it in planters that I could them bring in at night. It is getting up to 55 and 60 degrees and we're getting good sunshine during the day.

I have to planters that are both three feet long, a foot and a half deep and a foot wide. I've previously put flowers in these but was thinking of putting my basil seeds in instead so I can start them now. If I do this, how many plants will be able to live in each planter would you think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
charlietexas
  1. i would have two seeds in six hills thinking to get two plants in each hill. basil seems to grow better when paired with another plant. when fully mature the plants will be very close together. i wouldnt worry about the closiness, keep them pinched and enjoy the flavor. by the time the plants get three inches tall they should be ready for full sun and by that time the weather should be hot enough you can leave them outside. keep an eye on their watering. if well drained soil you probably cant overwater, keep an eye out for underwatering. the plant will tell you when they are needing water. hope this helps.
    Bookmark   April 13, 2011 at 9:34PM
jojosplants(9/ Tucson, Az.)

If it were me, I'd only put 3 or 4. And a few other smaller herbs or lettuce with it.
Basil can get big.
JoJo

Bookmark   April 13, 2011 at 10:26PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

I like basil too - enjoy it in many ways, but 1 plant gives me way more than I could ever use. I'd make sure the mix you use drains very well & plant a few other herbs, as well.Remember to keep it pinched. ;o)

Al

Bookmark   April 13, 2011 at 10:48PM
jwahlton(9B Kisimee)

I love Basil too and need LOTS of it! Does this grow well in the 5-1-1 mix?

Bookmark   April 15, 2011 at 3:39PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Yes - it loves a fast draining soil - doesn't like wet feet, so the 5:1:"1 is a good choice, and the gritty mix better still.

AL

Bookmark   April 15, 2011 at 9:47PM
jojosplants(9/ Tucson, Az.)

I grew it last season in with my tomato's in the 5-1-1 and it did better than my basil in the garden beds. I threw a few seeds in this year with the tomato and noticed today they already sprouted!

This season I put lavender, thyme, sage, and chives in the gritty mix and they are doing great!

I have to agree with Al... Both mixes are perfect for herbs! Any plants for that matter. lol..

JoJo

Bookmark   April 15, 2011 at 10:52PM
ronalawn82(z9FL)

bullylady, the container to which you refer sounds very much like an "Earthbox" or similar. I planted an "Earthbox" with three herbs - one each of basil, oregano and lemon balm. They completely covered the surface in a very short time and supplied our household with more than we could use. When I "post mortemed" the box after the season, I was quite pleasantly surprised by the amount of root growth that had taken place.

Bookmark   April 16, 2011 at 7:26AM
More Discussions
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings I put in...
Florida Native
Help with 1:1:1 - weight and sourcing in the UK
I've just clicked that weight is going to be an issue...
containergardenerbeginner
meyer lemon tree leaves yellowing
I have a meyer lemon tree and I brought it in for the...
mlmib
Need help!..white spots on my lemon seedlings!!
I recently found white spots on the leaves of my lemon...
Kavitha Raghunath
Meyer Exploding in 5-1-1
My meyer lemon in 5-1-1 is just going nuts right now....
Jay Part Shade (Zone 10B, S21, Los Angeles)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™