Gritty mix watering questions

snapksApril 4, 2013

I am slowly repotting my houseplants into gritty mix and trying to figure out when to water is challenging.

So far, I have repotted a...

1) ZZ Plant into a clay pot. It was repotted about a week ago. The color looks okay, but it is rather droopy.

2) Sansevieria in a plastic pot

3) Jade in clay pot(s) - actually started as one Jade plant, but when I went to repot, I found the pot actually held about 9 jade plants. So when repotting, I separated them into 4 different pots, some containing just one jade, while others have multiples. All of them had nearly non-existent roots when I took them out of the nursery pot, so I am hoping that they eventually thrive in the gritty mix. Right now they look okay. They were pretty floppy at first but seem to be firming up.

So - if you are familiar with these plants and caring for them in the gritty mix, can you tell me how often you water? Also, given that the jades hardly have roots, do I need to water them differently? It doesn't seem to make sense to wait until the bottom of the pot is dry, since the roots are in the top 1/4th of the mix.

Also, I have Foliage Pro but have not fertilized any of them yet. How long do I wait after each repot before fertilizing?

Thanks for any help you can offer. My next repot will be my Calamondin tree, which I am probably the most invested in keeping well. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

I water most of my Jades once a week, and I lightly fertilize every month (if not more often). When plants are establishing, it is beneficial to keep the gritty mix slightly more moist than usual...this is because those roots are in the upper layers, which you mentioned. Wait two weeks after re-potting to begin a light fertilization. And remember, if all the plants are in gritty mix, you truly can water them on a schedule, i.e. all at once. Sure, some will still have moisture, but a watering won't cause them to rot if the drainage and aeration are good.

I have a Sansevieria in a small plastic pot of gritty mix, and I water frequently. With that one, I just heft the pot and water when it feels light.

Josh

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 8:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

So is it pretty much impossible to overwater in gritty mix?

Also - will a water-loving plant (one native to swampy regions) actually languish due to the well-drained nature of gritty mix?

Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 10:36AM
More Discussions
gritty mix modification question
Sorry, I had a response to this question before but...
briana_2006
Soil for elephant ear plant?
I'm getting ready to plant an elephant ear plant in...
bunky_mi
Reusing infested soil
Last year, my outdoor container-grown kale suffered...
SighBorg
Root bound jasmine separation
HI.. It is a first time I disturbed a rootball of...
amriteanukul112
Best glue for terracotta pots?
Yes I did. Left some of my pots outside and now they...
keepingon
Sponsored Products
Colonial Mills Quilter's Choice Chair Pad - 15 x 15 in. - QC02A015X015
$55.99 | Hayneedle
Holly & Martin Maians Red-Orange Media Console
Overstock.com
Sweet Jojo Designs Blue and Green Stripe Cotton Shower Curtain
Overstock.com
Thermostatic Shower System, Apron Head & Ceiling Arm & Brass Handset
Hudson Reed
Wine Stainless Steel Rox Set
$27.99 | zulily
Quoizel Alfresco 16 1/2" High Bronze Post Light
Lamps Plus
Fatboy Marimekko Doggielounge by Fatboy
$139.00 | Lumens
Fischer Blue and Green Square 18.5-Inch Throw Pillow with Sunbrella Lagoon Fabri
$112.99 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™