Cloth Strips As Wicks

suburbangardenMD(7)April 24, 2012

I found a thread on here that referenced an experiment someone was conducting with "sleeve" material for drainage pipe as a wick. I also ran across a few posters using mop strings and one or two linking a design of a simple swc using cloth strips tied in a knot, with the knot in the container and the loose end down in the reservoir. has anyone tried this method? If so, any success? I believe I read that a poster had used 4 mop head strings for some cukes and thought 6-8 may be better.

I am having trouble matching up my drain cup size to the gutter reservoir I will be using. I also would like to cut down anything else I need to buy!

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dickiefickle(5B Dousman,Wi.)

Has anyone tried this method ? Well I guess so ,if you read about people's experience with them .Cloth does Not last long

I also would like to cut down anything else I need to buy!
Not sure what this means ?

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 2:35AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
suburbangardenMD(7)

After I posted that I figured I would get a snarky response or two...I guess thats my first.

Yes I did read about cloth/cotton as a wick, but as you probably know, there is relatively little information regarding wicking methods and results when using alternatives to existing methods. Most of what I found is descriptions of how someone set up their system or what they were testing. There are plenty of posts and sites discussing methods but relative to traditional gardening or even container gardening there is no authoritative figure or standard.

And yes, the more I read, the more I realized a cotton wick may not be the best choice. Like I said, I knew after I posted I left myself open for a critical reply post.

As for "cut down anything else" comment, I was typing from a tablet. I left out a few words there somehow. I was looking to cut cost.

I picked up a drain sleeve for drainage pipe and some nylon rope for experimentation.

Thanks for your helpful response Mr. Dickie....

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 7:36AM
More Discussions
What size pot to use for sweet potatoes
Would someone please tell me what size pot I can grow...
zzackey
anything you wanted to talk about vii - prolly mostly ot
I guess I didn't realize the last thread was about...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Pine fines with Biochar?
My garden center carries a product (can't recall the...
mblan13
Lateral water movement in 511 mix under drip irrigation
I would appreciate it if someone can give me an indication...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
Growing Dahlia and Sweet Pea in same container? (advice)
I have a few very large planters, and while I do love...
silverrowan
Sponsored Products
Texas 8-ft Tandem KL Heavy Duty Industrial Strip with Reflector, 2 Lamp, 32W T8,
LBC Lighting
Cotton Duck Shower Curtain - Blue
Signature Hardware
Oxford Stripe Runner 2'3" x 8' - ORANGE/YELLOW
$239.00 | Horchow
Liberty Furniture St. Ives Bunching Bookcase in Chocolate & Cherry Finish
Beyond Stores
Beat Light Fat Pendant - White - Tom Dixon
$535.00 | HORNE
LBL Lighting | Linnet Pendant A Light
$224.00 | YLighting
Gen-Lite Gloss Chrome Three-Light Stick Crystals Floor Lamp