Cloth Strips As Wicks

suburbangardenMD(7)April 24, 2012

I found a thread on here that referenced an experiment someone was conducting with "sleeve" material for drainage pipe as a wick. I also ran across a few posters using mop strings and one or two linking a design of a simple swc using cloth strips tied in a knot, with the knot in the container and the loose end down in the reservoir. has anyone tried this method? If so, any success? I believe I read that a poster had used 4 mop head strings for some cukes and thought 6-8 may be better.

I am having trouble matching up my drain cup size to the gutter reservoir I will be using. I also would like to cut down anything else I need to buy!

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dickiefickle(5B Dousman,Wi.)

Has anyone tried this method ? Well I guess so ,if you read about people's experience with them .Cloth does Not last long

I also would like to cut down anything else I need to buy!
Not sure what this means ?

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 2:35AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
suburbangardenMD(7)

After I posted that I figured I would get a snarky response or two...I guess thats my first.

Yes I did read about cloth/cotton as a wick, but as you probably know, there is relatively little information regarding wicking methods and results when using alternatives to existing methods. Most of what I found is descriptions of how someone set up their system or what they were testing. There are plenty of posts and sites discussing methods but relative to traditional gardening or even container gardening there is no authoritative figure or standard.

And yes, the more I read, the more I realized a cotton wick may not be the best choice. Like I said, I knew after I posted I left myself open for a critical reply post.

As for "cut down anything else" comment, I was typing from a tablet. I left out a few words there somehow. I was looking to cut cost.

I picked up a drain sleeve for drainage pipe and some nylon rope for experimentation.

Thanks for your helpful response Mr. Dickie....

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 7:36AM
More Discussions
aphid issue + not many predators
Hello, dear Container G people!!! So, let me know if...
Need2SeeGreen
Question about too much dryness in my container garden
I have several Behlen food-grade stocktanks (1x2x6)...
catherinet
Apartment composting and container gardening.
Any tips or tricks using apartment compost with your...
newgardenelf
Type of kale... Also, shiny metallic flakes?
Hey, my friend gave me some kale seeds from her plants...
Josie Murray
Potting into Air Pots, root length question
Hello all, My question is, air pots are supposed to...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™