Lighting a Cycas revoluta

italiandreamer(8)January 21, 2013

Hello
I'm writing this post to get an advice regarding lighting a cycas revoluta.
I'm undecided on what kind of light to use to get the best visual effect.
Is it better to use one (or even 2) in-ground light fixtures located under the cycas or maybe it's better to use a garden spot light fixture?
What do you think?
thanks for sharing your opinions

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardvaark

When faced with a problem such as this, usually I'd take a "shop light" (with light shielded at one side and directed from the opposite) outside at night and experiment to see what effects can result. It can usually be determined how to cause the best effects.

Bookmark   January 22, 2013 at 9:48AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bahia(SF Bay Area)

The size of the plant matters, and so does the location of the plant and garden context. Uplighting in general works best to feature such sculptural accents, but not as well if they are still small with not much to uplight. Also, poorly placed uplights can cause glare and/or not coordinate with an overall lighting scheme. An overhead flood light tends to light an area as opposed to accent details, a spot could work. With bold foliage forms placed in front of walls or fences, lighting the backdrop surface to silhouette the dark plant form, or to throw a shadow on a wall is another useful approach. So I'd say there's not enough info given for a yes/no type of answer. I'd suggest going to your local library and see if they have any of the Orthodox or Sunset How-to books on the subject to see the possibilities.

Bookmark   January 23, 2013 at 12:41PM
More Discussions
garden design ideas for a raised brick flower bed.
Every year I try with all my might to do something...
midwestmelissa
Help with paint colors and landscaping please!
Please help me create a home from this tiny house!...
H
Layout for backyard near house - suggestions
We are wanting to improve on our backyard and create...
lyfia
Where to find 3/8" minus gravel in NY/NJ??
Our community garden is planning to rehabilitate our...
heavens123
Landscaping front yard, zone 5. HELP!!!! :)
We have recently done some work to our front yard (tearing...
midwestmelissa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™