Help with Kale and Broccoli

jemsister(7)April 12, 2014

I planted some kale and broccoli back in early March, and they came up fine, looked good. Then I started seeing small nibbles here and there. Really tiny ones. This was all followed by some sleet, which I thought would kill them, but they survived. Still, I noticed them slowly disappearing. Now they are all gone! Any ideas what it could be? I'm container gardening. I haven't seen any bugs or pests, no slug trails, no animal tracks... (I live in the suburbs with high fences, so I don't think there would be much in the way of wildlife.) Anyway, whatever it is, it's only going after the cabbage family. Everything else in the garden is untouched. Here's a pic of the damage I was seeing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jemsister(7)

Here is another pic of damaged seedlings.

Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 4:14PM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

I would guess slugs or possibly earwigs or pill bugs. They all hide in cool, moist places during the day and feed at night. The last two only seem to do significant damage to very small seedlings, while slugs can wipe out whole seedlings. I've had no luck starting cole crops outdoors in containers (or in ground) because they seem to be so tasty at that tender stage. It's much more likely they will survive if they are four to six weeks old when they go outdoors. You don't usually see slug "tracks." You can control them with diatomaceous earth, but that loses its effectiveness when it gets wet, so you must keep applying it. I like to use iron phosphate slug bait like sluggo or escar-go because it stays effective when wet. All of these organic pesticides are generally considered safe for people, pets and beneficial insects.

Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 5:06PM
jemsister(7)

Thanks very much, Ohio! I do see earwigs and pillbugs around here, so I'm thinking that might be it. I guess I might need to start my seeds indoors.

Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 5:09PM
More Discussions
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
Any issues planting in copper pots?
I have some old copper containers I want to use for...
garden_dogs
RE: Introductory post-C.S-W.M&RXXI 1-27-15
Hi everyone, In my very 1st post, I described how by...
halocline
Type of kale... Also, shiny metallic flakes?
Hey, my friend gave me some kale seeds from her plants...
Josie Murray
Potting into Air Pots, root length question
Hello all, My question is, air pots are supposed to...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™