Anyone have creative potriser/feet ideas?

dragonfly717(z10 Fort Myers)April 27, 2013

Really am trying not to spend any more money right now. Thinking about attaching large flat glass "marbles" or ??something? Wanting to remain level for some will be on pool deck pavers, but other are sitting on the ground. Need to get those up ASAP.

Thanks!

Jamie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
VGtar

Caps from soft drinks/ bottled water.

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 4:57PM
dragonfly717(z10 Fort Myers)

Thanks! Great idea vgtar :)

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 10:19PM
MDutton(6a)

It's not necessarily free (unless you can "borrow" a few from a small child), but I used alphabet blocks. Like, the old-school ones made out of wood, with colorful letters and numbers on them. I picked up a set for about $15 locally, but you could probably find them in a thrift shop or at garage sales. I have eight big planters on my balcony, and I put 3 or 4 under each pot.

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 10:34AM
nil13(z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Washington))

If you have any candy molds or silicone ice cube trays, you can cast some pourstone or mortar in them to make clean pot risers. You just silicoe or mortar them to the bottom of the pot or not dependig on the shape (cubes really don't need any help, half spheres on the other hand). You can even add concrete colorant if you want to try to match the color of the pot.

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 11:06AM
Steve, Z (6Bground,5B roof) Cincy,OH

For large pots I use plastic drink cups filled with clay. The best description of my other idea would be best pictured
SEE BELOW

The empty can next to the seed grown meiwa kumquat tree will get a citrus tree in it. The cut off can with the hole in its side collects excess water so it works well inside on furniture and provides an air hole to fit a blow-dryer to blow air into the roots. Roots need fresh air on a regular bases or the plants can stagnate and can even die in bad cases. The link below shows a meiwa kumquat tree grown from seed using this aeration / water collection system. It's growth rate double when I set this up.

This works with drink cups up to and beyond 55 gallon drums and keeps ground insects from working up in your potted plant.

Good luck

Here is a link that might be useful: https://plus.google.com/photos/111099372377958308731/albums/profile?banner=pwa

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 11:38AM

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the ideas. I may try a combo of all as some pots are very decorative and exposed on my pool deck whereas others are tucked away within the garden beds.

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 10:32PM
JoppaRich(7b)

I'm using slices of PVC pipe.

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 9:44AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Another vote for slices of PVC pipe but any small chunks of wood work well. You can pick up one old used 2x4 free lots of places or for a couple of bucks and make 48 2" risers out of it.

Dave

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 2:30PM

With the start of this thread, I got to thinking of Ideas for my customers. I ask him, are you saving you childs baseball bat from 30 years ago or would you like to place those memories under you potted flowers. We used a dark ash stain and polyurethaned them. The perfectly round coasters look great, and should take him through to very old age.

As for the pots tucked in garden bed I use pots with no bottom in them and the roots pass right though while the container helps shape and boost the plant. The link below shows what I am using. You could use something much more attractive.

Here is a link that might be useful: https://plus.google.com/photos/111099372377958308731/albums/5869826671114565057?banner=pwa

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 7:19PM

Walking around the yard this morning trying to see where the most water puddles (we had a serious "frog-choking rain" here yesterday and today. I noticed a few concrete sprinkler head donut-protectors tucked behind some shrubs. They worked perfectly for my garden pots. Pretty pleased :)

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 2:51PM

My final 2 cents worth. Pennys stack of 3 in 3 place. Use gravity to hold them in place. Total cost 9 sense per pot

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 2:13PM

LOVE IT! I may actually glue them but that may be perfect for my pool deck pots. Thanks again!

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 3:22PM
More Discussions
gritty mix modification question
Sorry, I had a response to this question before but...
briana_2006
What to plant in 4 1/4 Gallon Food Grade Buckets?
I was recently given about 20 4 1/4 gallon food grade...
MikeinPA_Zone5b
Indoor vegetables and 5-1-1
I'm growing vegetables indoors in containers. Is the...
gardev
Can a peat based mix be used for 2 seasons?
Hello - Considering compaction, etc can a peat based...
briana_2006
Fabric Pots - Decor Question
Good afternoon everyone. I'm thinking of growing a...
veegardens
Sponsored Products
Home Decorators Area Rug: Houndstooth Cream/Brown 3' x 5'
$99.00 | Home Depot
Stemmed Ribbed Mason Jar Wine Glass
Classic Hostess
Personalized Daily Specials Decal
$32.99 | zulily
DW 3528 Single Row LED Strip Light 240/m 10mm wide Foot
EnvironmentalLights.com
Grey Ego Adjustable Height Swivel Bar Stool with Chrome Base
Zuri Furniture
Casdon Kids Play Dyson DC22 Vacuum Cleaner - 624
$36.53 | Hayneedle
Simple Living Black Cross Back Dining Chairs (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Area Rug: Augusta Lifestyle Collection Ivory Floral 5' 2" x 7' 5"
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™