Will lights in garden disrupt anything?

goldenecho(Z8 (Waco TX))February 2, 2013

Are there any vegetables or herbs which would be disrupted by having lights on them at night? I wanted to put in some of those solar garden lights so I could see when I went out to grab some chives for dinner...but I don't want to mess with any of the plants natural cycles (didn't know if that would be a problem).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

The solar lamps don't put out enough light to cause problems for anything other than attracting some moths and other members of the bug family.

Dave

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 2:36PM
hepatica_z7

I have no experience with those solar powered lamps, but I do think my peppers are affected by the street lights. I planted them further away this year and finally had some peppers.

I know this is not the OP's issue, but thought others might click on the topic.

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 10:11PM
Edymnion(7a)

Only potential problem is that there are some moths who's caterpillars will eat your veggies that can be attracted by the light. You might end up needing to spray them to combat that.

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 11:12PM
foolishpleasure

I have those solar lights all over my yard. They are useful to define the walkways and for decoration. They don't interrupt any of my garden plants or trees. except for the bugs. Nevertheless, it is a good way to attract the bugs so I can suck them with the vacuum.
Abe

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 11:04PM
noinwi

If you have toads, they will be happy to hang out near your lights and take care of at least some of the bugs.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 3:06PM
Edymnion(7a)

This is true. Toads typically enjoy being in the garden anyway (least around here they do). Last year I had a big old toad that lived at the base of my grape vine, because that spot was mostly in the shade and I kept it well watered and mulched. Whenever I'd come out to water he'd dig out and just have a nice little shower.

Long as you keep the soil fairly loose and fairly well watered, you're likely to have toads move in. Which is good, they'll help you out by eating the bugs.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 3:13PM
More Discussions
Tomato cages
I have a large number (40+) tomato cages made from...
drscottr
over wintering cabbage family for second year seed
I'm interested in which cabbage family vegetables I...
matthias_lang
Giant Noble Spinach
I started this variety in my grow closet (which is...
thedudefrom1976
nibbler of artichokes and broccoli
Hi, All, I recently moved from NJ to CA and am faced...
emmers_m
Tomatoes in Autumn?
It's late summer, about to be autumn for me, and I...
Heather Riley
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™