Hey Al, a question for you!?

meyermike_1micha(5)April 3, 2011

I was at the Fafard grave yard the other day and they have pallets upon pallets of the 'nursery mix' which a few of my friends want to try and one bought for me.

Here's the thing. The guy there told us it was 80% pine bark, 10% peat, and 10% perlite.

Well upon looking at the bag ingredients myself this am, it says it is comprised of 80% pine bark and the rest being peat, NO perlite.

Now my friends are asking me, including myself, how much perlite do I/they have to add to make it comprable to the 5.1.1 mix to let's say, 5 parts 'nursery mix'? Do we have to strain the prelite of the dust too?

Thanks in advance!:-)

Mike;-0)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jodik_gw

Every bag of perlite I've ever bought has contained a large amount of dust and minuscule particles, Mike. Personally, I'd screen it.

Bookmark   April 3, 2011 at 5:50PM
jojosplants(9/ Tucson, Az.)

For sure~ Screen it! I use the insect screen.
JoJo

Bookmark   April 3, 2011 at 6:53PM
spaceman13(6b)

HMM, I'm not Al, but I'd probably just mix in 10% perlite and be done with it.

When I make my 5:1:1, being a lazy lime bean that I am, I don't "bug screen" the Pine bark fines. Seems kind of silly to go through the hastle of screening when I'm adding it right back in with the peat.

So, theoretically what I end up with is probably closer to 5:2:1, but with it I have had great results!

What is an extra 10% amongst friends.
If It really bothers you, put in a wick

Mark

Bookmark   April 3, 2011 at 8:26PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Mike - it has more peat than I'd use (20%), but if you mix the soil 5:1 with perlite, you'll end up with a 4:1:1 ratio, which might be satisfactory to you? I like peat at under 1/6 of the whole, but that's close. It sort of depends on how fine the bark is. You could always add another part or two of pine bark, too.

Al

Bookmark   April 3, 2011 at 9:12PM
meyermike_1micha(5)

I had to check this one out before I retired for the night.

I want it the same way as you would like it Al. So tomorrow I will post a close up picture of the mix and you can tell me if you think it has to many fine particles in it. I do not want to use it or encourage others to until your eyes approve.

There is always the option of sifting out a bit of the peat too..

Thanks so much everyone. I will be back tomorrow with pictures of before and after. Nite:-)

Mike

Bookmark   April 3, 2011 at 10:56PM
More Discussions
Making my garden easy care
I need an easy are garden. Because of ill health ,...
Carry2
pine straw instead of pine bark fines?
Dear folks According to the 5-1-1 mix I should use...
ItsJorgen
Buckeye re-potting - Trees in Containers (pics)
Hello and good afternoon, container gardeners! California...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
Why can't I grow vigna caracalla? Can you?
Hi Everyone I'm in z11 and took a while to get my hands...
rexedwardfairy
511 mix
I'm having a hard time understanding the 511 mix.I...
Monzi zone 8a South Carolina
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™