Mac Design Software - NOT Punch

arbolFebruary 22, 2010

Hello everyone,

Not too long ago, I found some amazing looking Mac landscape design software that also did pools. However, it's completely slipped my mind. I know it's not Punch.

Anyone have any ideas?

THANKS!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arbol

I found it. It was this:
http://www.ideaspectrum.com/comparison.php

It's not for Mac though - and it honestly doesn't look that great.

SO let me pose another question. Across ALL software packages, is anyone seriously planning patios, backyards, pools, etc with software. It all seems to be garbage that crashes (Punch).

People love SketchUp I hear - but that seems to have quite the steep learning curve. I also wonder how much I can do with the free version as opposed to spending $500.

Bookmark   February 22, 2010 at 1:38AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marcinde(7)

When Google first acquired SketchUp from AtLast Software, they made the free version for home use only, to try and smooth things over with us pro users who spent $500 on it. We all know how well the honor system works with software EULAs, so now you ARE licensed to use the free version for commercial purposes.

There are two major differences between Google SU (Free) and SketchUp Pro. The first is that Pro comes with Layout, which is an add-on that allows you to present drawings to scale, with title blocks. The second is that the Pro version allows you to export to multiple file formats, which is necessary if you're going to do post-processing renders with programs like Vue or Kerkythea.

I had the pro version at my old job because we bought it back when you had to pay for it. Now that I'm on my own, I use the free version. Works fine for what I do.

If you have CAD experience, or even solid graphics program experience, I would think you'll pick up SketchUp pretty quickly. I love it for working out construction details on trellis and pergolas (pergolae?). It's lousy for 2D drafting, though.

Bookmark   February 22, 2010 at 7:10AM
More Discussions
quick screen
I'm zone 7 and the spot is full sun. I had a 12' photinia...
Mary Bright
Landscape Designer or Landscape Architect?
Can anyone tell me what is the difference? I am considering...
forensicmom
Need help with landscaping my front hillside
I need some help with landscaping my front hillside....
dabeevm25
Raised Garden Bed Construction Help
Hello Everyone! What wonderful help! I've built about...
Garden Chickee
Sponsored Products
Hampton Bay Lamps 62.25 in. Antique Brass and Charcoal Floor Lamp with Metal
$66.48 | Home Depot
Capital Lighting Transitional Flush Mount
1800Lighting
Three-Tier Wall Shelf
$19.99 | zulily
Colored Butterflies Square Lamp Shade 11x11x9.5 (Spider)
$59.91 | Lamps Plus
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Soho Brown/Multi 2 ft. x 3 ft.
$47.97 | Home Depot
Grand Luxe 'Hike Up Your Skirt' Ruffled Faux Silk Adjustable 17-inch Drop Califo
Overstock.com
Costaluz 3062 Series Aluminum One-Light Fluorescent Wall Sconce with Bronze Glas
$135.00 | Bellacor
Darya Rugs Oushak, Ivory, 6'3" x 9'0" M1783-131
Darya Rugs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™