Carrots & Tomatoes

jwr6404(8B Wa)February 27, 2011

Wanting some opinions from you folks in GW Land. I plant Tomatoes in Large(20gl) Pots every year. I'm considering planting carrot seeds in with the Tomato plant at the same time I transplant tomato to pot. Good idea Bad idea? If a good idea any recommendations for Carrot variety. One reason for planting carrots was to provide a little shade for the Tomato roots with the added benefit of a few tasty carrots.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

You have to keep in mind the 2 primary problems with growing in containers - providing consistent moisture and providing consistent nutrient levels throughout the season. Adding additional crops to a containers can change those demands.

Two crops with the same nutrient and water requirements, assuming sufficient room in the container, should be no problem. But crops with different nutrient and water needs, crops that will compete with each other, is a problem and can be detrimental to both.

As a general rule, blooming/fruiting crops have different nutrient and water needs - both in amounts and timing - than root crops do so carrots wouldn't be my first choice. But the best way to learn is to give it a try and discover if it works for you or not.

Many grow basil in with their tomatoes or marigolds or leafy greens like lettuce or spinach or even a bush pickling cuke.

Just some thoughts to consider.

Dave

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 4:12PM
jwr6404(8B Wa)

Thanks Dave
Will forgo the Tomatoes & carrots together in a Pot.Here in my area of the PNW Pots do very well as we have ample Rain and will usually have only 1 day above 90. Some years we will suffer from extreme Heatwave with 2 days above 90 degrees in a year.

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 8:18PM
AliceMae123(4)

I can grow just about anything in my veggie garden except carrots. Why? The soil is a bit heavy with clay and I don't add much to it, but for many years I've tried and tried. Think I'll give a container a shot. Any suggestions on soil mix and kind of container?

Here is a link that might be useful: Choosing gardening tools

Bookmark   February 28, 2011 at 4:43PM
veeta

AliceMae, you might want to try round carrots--these are sold under different names, such as Paris Market. They are really round! They grew better for me, though you do have to want small carrots.

Bookmark   February 28, 2011 at 5:21PM
More Discussions
Will I be too late to start a vegetable garden for the summer?
Hello! My husband and I will be moving from Florida...
merritt623
Skirret and Sea Kale
Can someone tell me where I might buy Skirret and Sea...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
I really messed up, who can help? Tomato expert needed...
I planted beefsteak and July 4th tomatoes and didn't...
dwyerkg
Boo hoo! Purple sprouting broccoli didn't survive the winter!
I was looking forward to early broccoli this year....
ffreidl z5a
what do I do with sprouting sweet potatoes?
It way to early to plant the sprouts.. need to be near...
jeanwedding
Sponsored Products
Lights Up | Oscar Table Lamp
$146.00 | YLighting
Bertoia Side Chair
Design Within Reach
Vegetable Garden Marker - Carrots
Signature Hardware
Hand-woven Sigurd Wool Shag Rug (5' x 8')
Overstock.com
Whiteman with Bucket Hat - 29-1/2"
Grandin Road
Rabbit Table Lamp by Moooi
$537.00 | Lumens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™