Green asparagus looks purple

jennieboyer(8)February 16, 2014

All,

I went to finish cleaning up my asparagus bed this afternoon, and found two spears coming up. One is white, which I realize probably happened because last year's ferns were blocking the sun. The other appears to be almost purple. I know it's not a purple variety, as I only planted green varieties, and only got green asparagus last year. What gives?

Jennie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Looks pretty normal to me. I also grow the purple varieties and they are PUR-ple. That one isn't nearly as purple like they are.

Assuming your soil has adequate P in it, which most all do, then the cooler springs temps can often create the look of pink/purpling of many varieties of young plants as they have a bit of difficulty absorbing phos when the roots are cool. Usually disappears normally as the weather warms and the plants mature.

Dave

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 5:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glib(5.5)

Due to a series of accidents I have three types of 'gus in my bed. And one of them is purple. My FIL used to have a giant bed of white asparagus which, my wife says, was ten times better than my own. so you just have a little mix in there.

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 9:14PM
More Discussions
Where is the sweet potato post?
Someone on here wanted to know if sweet potatoes would...
zzackey
Are artichokes difficult to germinate?
I planted some 8 days ago... I got nothing. They are...
Peter
Plastic hardware cloth
How easily can critters chew through it?
hairmetal4ever
Starting a garden in Corpus Christi Texas
I am a beginning gardener and I have gotten some helpful...
mollysmom_2008
eggplant not germinating
I put in my eggplant seeds on 1/25 and left them on...
NewTXGardener (8a Dallas)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™