old container soil

wcox59April 24, 2012

I have a zillion pots large and small with year old potting coil which I believe is all peat based as that appears that is all avaialble in my area, (nebraska). Since I no longer have any place to dump out the pots can I use the same old potting soil? And should I add any thing like peat or compost to "refresh" the soil? Want to keep it light of course casue i move the pots around alot.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fortyonenorth(6b)

Some of the popular peat-lite mixes are real nice out of the bag but they begin to collapse within a few months. If it's been used for a full season (or year) I wouldn't recommend reusing it for your containers.

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 10:51PM
jala4260(10a)

You should look for soil that is not peat based. Or look forward to changing it every 6 months to a year.

Yeah, you should toss out your soil if you plan to use it in containers. I think it would be fine for plants outdoors in the ground where mother nature can help.

Bookmark   April 25, 2012 at 3:19AM
calistoga_al

I have tried several ways to rehabilitate used potting mix. Starting with bark based mixes and screening out the fines, adding new bark and dolomite. The result was less than satisfactory, so now I bite my lip and use only new mix in my containers. Al

Bookmark   April 25, 2012 at 5:01PM
More Discussions
Need help!..white spots on my lemon seedlings!!
I recently found white spots on the leaves of my lemon...
Kavitha Raghunath
Al and others..Foliage Pro fertilizer?
I just wanted to get an update on what you think of...
meyermike_1micha
zone 9 or so best roses for containers
what are your best roses for container gardening
zippity1
Potting into Air Pots, root length question
Hello all, My question is, air pots are supposed to...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™