Bush beans in a 5 gallon pot?

vp_78April 22, 2014

My kids and I planted some bush bean seeds a week or two ago, and the little sproutlings just reached the surface. We planted them in a black 5 gallon container and we have 6 sproutlings.

My questions:

1. Will the beans produce if grown in a 5 gallon container? Or should I transplant into a larger container? If I need something larger, about how large should I go?
2. If the 5 gallon container is ok, should I eliminate all but one plant? Or can I grow more than one?
3. I added EB Stone Sure Start (4-6-2) to the planter right before we planted the seeds. I also was given some EB Stone Tomato and Vegetable food (4-5-3). At what point do I add more fertilizer?
4. The leaves of the new sproutlings seem a bit yellowish at the edges. Is that typical?

On behalf of myself and my kiddos (especially my pre-schooler who seems to be fascinated by this whole process!), I thank you for any info!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vp_78

BTW I did not use an inoculant (read about it only after I planted the seeds). Is it too late to add? I also have citrus GrowMore, which is chelated iron and other micronutrients, plus I have liquid kelp that I can also add. And what about coffee grounds? Do beans like them?

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 5:55PM
johns.coastal.patio(USDA 10b, Sunset 24)

This sounds good to me. I'd just water them and let them run, not fertilize unless they seem to stall.

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 7:59AM

[duplicate removed]

This post was edited by johns.coastal.patio on Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 17:49

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 8:01AM

[duplicate removed]

This post was edited by johns.coastal.patio on Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 17:50

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 8:07AM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

What kind of soil did you use in the container? I would probably thin to 1 plant in a 5 gallon container. I've never transplanted beans, but 1 (2 max) per 5 gallon container is good if you want them to grow properly and produce. If it's just a fun experiment, leave them and see what happens. IMO skip the inoculant. With containers I like to fertilize with a weak solution of liquid fertilizer like Miracle gro at 1/4 strength with every watering.

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 1:26PM
vp_78

I planted the seeds using EB Stone Edna's Best Potting Soil. So maybe I'll leave two in on opposite sides of the pot. My son is in awe at this whole process, so even if we only get a few beans, it will have been worth it!

If I want to plant some that will actually produce, how large of a container should I use?

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 5:32PM

This Ohio State University FactSheet has a good compendium of recommendations.

They recommend something that is perhaps surprisingly small, 8" or 1.5 gallons [per plant].

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Vegetable Gardening

This post was edited by johns.coastal.patio on Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 17:42

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 5:39PM

Just noticed my duplicates above. Sorry, I must have refreshed the page, and that must have reposted the comment.

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 5:48PM
vp_78

Thanks Johns! Very helpful info!!!

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 7:29PM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

I think you should leave all the seedlings in the container. I grew about 15 in a 15 gallon pot last year, and they produced enough to feed a family of four a few meals a week for about three weeks. Didn't seem crowded to me. Bush beans have a short period of producing and need to be picked as soon as they are ready, which means pods a little smaller than green beans you would buy in the store. As soon as you allow pods to get oversized, they will shut down. I actually grew Filet Beans, which are small plants. So my advice may be wrong if you have beans that grow larger bushes.

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 9:27PM
vp_78

Well we are down to two plants in my 5 gallon container, and we're now about a month into the growing period. I was thinking about planting another couple of seeds in the same pot so that when the current ones are done, we'll have another crop waiting. Will that work? Any thoughts?

Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 1:40PM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

I did that. Seemed to work well.

Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 8:49PM
More Discussions
Avocado as a Container Plant III
Well, another wonderful Summer is passing, and there...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
Aglaonema - help
I bought this red aglaonema couple of months back....
bluehaven_gweb
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Help with 1:1:1 - weight and sourcing in the UK
I've just clicked that weight is going to be an issue...
containergardenerbeginner
Need help identifying a few plants from a photo
Can someone please identify the plants used in this...
Merci Ava Maria
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™