Growing Beefsteak Tomatoes in a 1/2 Wooden Barrel Container

joebronxApril 25, 2011

I am a New York to West Los Angeles transplant and a gardening newbie. I have a 1/2 wooden whiskey barrel in which I'd like to grow Beefsteak Tomatoes. What variety of Beefsteaks are recommended? How many plants will fit in a 1/2

barrel for a maximum yield? Have you a recommended LA Area nursery? A grateful thanks for any and all advice offered.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

I'm not familiar with how many plants will fit in half a barrel. I can only guess and say possibly 2. As far as types of beefsteaks, two that I usually grow are Brandywine Suddeths, and Cherokee Purple. Also check over on the tomato forum and you'll get lots of suggestions.

Bookmark   April 26, 2011 at 12:24AM
greentiger87

Hmm. Los Angeles is zone 10, correct? I might be wrong, but I think you're way too late for the spring/summer tomato season. Even if your plants grow, you'll get hardly any fruit. Cherry tomatoes are really the only kind that will set blossoms in extreme heat. You can always try again in late august - many people in Houston (zone 9) get a much bigger harvest of tomatoes in the fall.

Bookmark   April 26, 2011 at 8:58PM
joebronx

Actually we're in Sunset Zone 22 here. Tomato plants are just showing up this week in nursery and big box stores. Any thought on how many Beefsteak plants a 1/2 barrel would hold?
Thanks for your response.

Bookmark   April 27, 2011 at 2:27AM
greentiger87

Wow, sorry about the erroneous advice then. You don't mention how large it actually is... the ones sold in big box stores are usually smaller than a real half-barrel. If growing beefsteaks, particularly the Brandywine, I wouldn't try to fit a second plant in there. In my (short) experience, Brandywines appreciate plenty of room horizontally (as well as vertically), and have large, heavy stems and leaves. Many other types you could squeeze in two per barrel if you had to.

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 6:48PM
joebronx

Many thanks...you weren't all wrong. I'm a newbie at this.
West LA is in zone 10, but the rest is correct. Tomato plants are just arriving at local nurseries. The 1/2 barrel is a genuine wine barrel from a California winery. The nursery recommended a new Japanese variety called a Momotaro and two local container gardeners (both Brandywine types) said they planted this new variety last year and had fabulous yield and taste fruit! I just lucked into the plants, they are hard to come by. They both suggest two plants per 1/2 barrel. Many thanks for your help as I begin my grand adventure.

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 9:55PM
More Discussions
Al's Gritty Mix -- A Learning Experinece
I came to this forum a few weeks ago in an attempt...
Jessicasgrowincitrus
Wicking more water retentive soils
I was wondering what the disadvantages are when using...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
Indoor vegetables and 5-1-1
I'm growing vegetables indoors in containers. Is the...
gardev
Summer Squash
Last spring/summer, I planted a summer squash that...
meawea
Lateral water movement in 511 mix under drip irrigation
I would appreciate it if someone can give me an indication...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
Sponsored Products
Open Up Hippo Container
| Dot & Bo
Hardy Chair - Cordova Eclipse Gray
Joybird Furniture
O.W. Lee Avalon Wrought Iron Adjustable Chaise Lounge - 4379-CH-SP11-GL02A
Hayneedle
Coconut Chair Reproduction-Chocolate - 100% Italian Leather
IFN Modern
New 3' X 9' Hand Knotted Balouch Runner Geometric Medallion Blue Wool Rug P922
BH Sun Inc
Sea Gull Lighting Parkview 39380BLE-829 5-Light Chandelier - 24 diam. in. - Russ
$475.60 | Hayneedle
Lucky Dog European Style Modular Kennel with Grey Gable Cover - CL65153
$989.99 | Hayneedle
Hopson Leather Bench - Brighton Energy Pink
Joybird Furniture
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™