Mandevilla identification

nkda1819(7b)April 8, 2008

Hi Everyone,

My local Wal-Mart had a grand opening for their new garden center and had some nice tropicals on sale. I picked up two 'Mandevillas', the first of which looks like a classic pink vining plant that I have previously associated with the name Mandevilla. The second, however, has deep red flowers, smaller smooth leaves, and shows no interest in vining.

First plant:

Second plant:

Any thoughts on exactly what the red one is and how its care should differ, if at all, from the typical Mandevilla in the first picture would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosco_p(z6a ont.canada)

NKDA: I think you will find your first pictured Mandevilla to be Alice Dupont" and the second to be "Crimson Parasol" I can't help you with the care instructions as I am just trying to keep my first year Mandevillas alive myself.

Bookmark   April 10, 2008 at 9:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hitexplanter(8 a)

I agree with the above id's. They split the mandevilla and dipledinia (crimson parasol)into two separate categories. The care is about the same. They want moist but well drained soil. They (here in Texas) like morning sun and some afternoon shade for the hot parts of the summer but both take full sun during the cooler spring and fall months. They can be prone to scale, white fly and mealy bug but if kept healthy don't have many problems. They are a fairly heavy feeder so keep up with the fert of your choice regularly through the growing season. They will need good protection from coldest part of your winter or bring inside to guarantee survival. They can make it in 8 with protection but only in our milder winters.
Hope this gives you most of what you were looking for and as always.... Happy Planting David

Bookmark   April 11, 2008 at 7:10AM
More Discussions
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Making my garden easy care
I need an easy are garden. Because of ill health ,...
Carry2
I have a cold, south facing porch. What container flowers might grow?
It's cold there now. In a few weeks nothing will free...
Blue Hills Gardens and Designs
Type of kale... Also, shiny metallic flakes?
Hey, my friend gave me some kale seeds from her plants...
Josie Murray
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™