hop is containers

pearsaml(6)April 19, 2011

I've got 2 hops plants in containers-- this is their second year. One is in a 15 gallon container, the other is in a 5 gallon container. Both grew pretty nicely last year... but this year, the one in the larger container is growing rapidly, and the one in the smaller container has a tiny little bit coming back up but hasn't been going anywhere for about a week.... anybody have experience with overwintering hops in containers? I'm wondering at what point I should call it quits on this plant and use the container for something else...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
red_chucks(5 (Chicago))

Pearsaml,

My experience with hops is in the ground--this is my fourth year. Hops have such big roots that I didn't want the struggle of trying containers.

Five gallons seems too small to me. I imagine both your plants have filled their pots with roots--they might be less vigorous this year than last. They will need the roots pruned and be moved to bigger containers for next year.

Hops are fun to grow (and beer is fun to drink if that is your purpose). Good luck. The second year for mine they ran about twenty feet up a little makeshift trellis I put up; I never had anything grow like that.

red_chucks

Bookmark   April 19, 2011 at 11:06PM
More Discussions
Question about too much dryness in my container garden
I have several Behlen food-grade stocktanks (1x2x6)...
catherinet
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
zone 9 or so best roses for containers
what are your best roses for container gardening
zippity1
Raised Bed Question
I bought 2 raised beds, 6' x 6' x 10". Can I stack...
sokrmomtx
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™