best hedge bushes/shrubs for privacy

MeanNgreenFebruary 25, 2014

Hello all
This community has always been great so figured I would reach out..we just had a home built on a quarter acre lot and are about to put a fence in the back. I want to put some bushes on the inside of the fence for extra privacy. Our HOA only allows four foot fences with big spaces between the pickets so was hoping to add extra privacy with the bushes being higher and fuller than fence. Any ideas..

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardvaark

If you place a shrub close to a fence, what usually happens is that where the shrub and fence are in contact, the shrub is difficult to maintain (trim.) How it goes is that the shrub ends up growing through the pickets and being trimmed on the outside of the fence. Personally, I don't care for this look. I think it would be better to use a small tree form that is separated from the fence. Under the tree plant perennials of some sort that don't require trimming (ok for them to grow through the fence. Or, if solid screening is desired, a small distance away from the fence, place a trellis that can be covered with a vine. If you want to do the shrub, large or small, keep it an appropriate distance away from the fence.

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 1:50PM
sc77

There are lots of great hedges or trees to choose from, but you have to provide more detail. I believe your zone is 8a? What are the conditions? How much sun? Are deer a problem? Do you want something evergreen? How high do you plan to keep the hedge, and will you keep it trimmed formally or informal. How quickly are you looking to obtain privacy?

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 8:45PM
butterfly4u

Mean,
Pittosporum.
Not the dwarf type.
You have sand, and salt spray.
Go to any big box store or nursery where you are, I guarantee they have them.
Water them real good the first year.
They are hardy shrubs, love sun or part shade.
They get pretty white fragrant orange smelling flowers in the spring, then you can prune them after they bloom any way you want, or let them grow.
I have 5 dark green, and 1 variegated, which grew bigger then the dark green.
After the first couple of years, after they settle in and get established, you won't really have to water them that much any more. They are very drought resistant, and evergreen.

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 8:55PM
More Discussions
Help! My new front yard is UGLY! Any ideas appreciated!
Do I keep the stone flower bed edge? I was told it...
amynatashahowell
Landscape Advice Needed | New Homeowners
We just purchased our first home in the southeast and...
Sarah Bain
scary house help
Trying to help someone with this- yipes. I'm thinking...
hightide102
Privacy Trees For Zone 5 (US)
We live in zone 5 on approx a 1 acre lot. Our neighbors...
pinball01
Sponsored Products
Bistro Dining Chair in Metal
| Dot & Bo
Jaccard 8 in. Advance Ceramic Chefs Knife - 200908
$60.99 | Hayneedle
Dual Exposed Thermostatic Shower Faucet, Rigid Riser Kit & Round Head
Hudson Reed
Lenox Vintage Jewel Dinner Plate - 104210002
$38.50 | Hayneedle
Louis Philippe Media Chest - 058-13-11
Hayneedle