Transplanting

nicholerh(8b)February 4, 2011

Quick question - we're looking at doing some landscaping in the near future (excited!!) but it involves transplanting some established plants.

2 Hydrangeas

1 large rose of sharon

I think those are the only ones I'm worried about. Right now everyone is fast asleep for the cooler season. How long do I have to safely move them? I live in Seattle, WA.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Having lived in the greater Seattle area all my life, I can say there is seldom a time when you cannot transplant safely :-) That said, there are better times than others - fall is really ideal, as that is when the roots of woody plants tend to be very active, so restablishment of the root system is rapid. Deciduous shrubs like the ones you mention can also be moved while still dormant. Any time in late winter when the weather cooperates and the soil is not too wet to be workable. After the plants emerge from dormancy is less ideal, simply because the plants are in full growth mode and it is more difficult for them to re-establish. But if done with sufficient care and attention to watering needs, transplanting even in summer is possible, as excessive heat is here is seldom an issue.

If you have other gardening/planting questions specific to this area, you might like to visit our regional forum, Northwest Gardening. Gardening conditions in this area tend to be rather unique and what is appropriate or feasible here is not necessarily the same everywhere else.

Bookmark   February 4, 2011 at 6:26PM
More Discussions
Brick Patio from Salvaged bricks
I came by about 600 nice clean used bricks for free...
oldgardenguy_zone6
Privacy for Small Yard - Help!
Hi All! First time poster - LONG TIME reader! I'm in...
rsislow
What can I put here for privacy
I bought this house 18 months ago and I'm not certain...
Carlton Clay
Concrete or Pavers
Hey guys, So I've started the process of having contractors...
jplee3
seeking creative solution to pine root damage in driveway
Hello, My neighbor has some large pines which are on...
gardnergal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™