a question about dynamite fertilizer

kawaiineko_gardener(5a)April 15, 2014

I mix a soilless mix recipe that I found here on garden web;

the 'recipe' is below...

2-3 cubic feet pine bark fines/mulch
5 gallons perlite
5 gallons sphagnum peat moss
2 cups slow release fertilizer (I use Osmocote)

Normally I Mix up my soil mix; when I do this, I pour the osmocote into the soil mix when I make it, and it feeds the plants the whole season.

Unfortunately some of the veggies (peppers and eggplants) don't like the Osmocote.

So I'd like to switch to dynamite fertilizer for veggies and flowers (found it online, it's the one in the pink bottle).

Is it slow-release, and can I directly mix it into the soil mix when I make it, and would this work?

I ask this because I used a fertilizer that was designed for applying to a plot (in the ground) and adding it a container mix, won't work, since it's not meant for that.

I really don't want to surface fertilize via a liquid fertilizer; adding the fertilizer to the mix, when I make it, is just simpler and easier for me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

When I make a batch of potting mix I do not add the time delay fertilizer. When I actually do the potting I add the fertilizer. This gives me the opportunity to vary the type and amount of fertilizer to match what i am potting. Also mixing time release fertilizer into a damp mix starts the clock. Al

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 10:48AM
kawaiineko_gardener(5a)

When I make the soil mix, it's dry. If the ingredients are wet, I let it dry out before I plant.

Thank you for posting on my thread, and sorry if this comes off as rude, it's not my intention, but you never answered my original questions.

Can you please do so?

Thank you

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 11:22AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

My advice is that you follow the directions on the bottle.

Josh

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 12:07PM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

I really like the product myself. Osmocote only works for 3 months when temps reach 85 degrees, that is not long enough.Dynamite will work for 4-5 months at those temps. Mixing it in the soil will work fine. I would add slightly more than suggested.

Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 11:42PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

I use MG Shake n Feed. It is also Slow Release. It is readily available off the shelf in big box stores and the cost is not very high. 4 pound sells for about $14.50 pls tx.

I used it just for containers. It is too expensive for garden beds. There are less expensive fertilizers for in ground veggies.

Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 1:44AM
maple_grove_gw

'Unfortunately some of the veggies (peppers and eggplants) don't like the Osmocote'

What is the problem you've observed with the use of Osmacote with your peppers and eggplants? It's hard to say whether Dynamite will be better if we don't know what problem you're trying to solve.

Alex

Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 8:36AM
More Discussions
Type of kale... Also, shiny metallic flakes?
Hey, my friend gave me some kale seeds from her plants...
Josie Murray
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
Meyer Exploding in 5-1-1
My meyer lemon in 5-1-1 is just going nuts right now....
Jay Part Shade (Zone 10B, S21, Los Angeles)
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
To find popular threads try this...
When you are looking for popular threads from the GW...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™