Need help with my tomato hanging basket

organic_wonderfulApril 17, 2011

I'm about to plant a couple of hanging baskets with tomatoes but have a few questions that I'd like to ask. I am planning on using coir liners in wire baskets, and am going to be planting the determinates 'Tumbling Tom Yellow', 'Hanging basket tomato F1 tumbler', 'F1 Sweet 'n' Neat Cherry' and maybe a pepper 'hot super chilli F1' plant. I know I'm supposed to use plastic inserts inside the coir liners, but I don't have any to hand. So, can I just cut some plastic garbage bags up and use them instead to improvise?

Also should I just plant the tomato plants in the top, or should I be cutting holes in the coir liner and poke various plants through them so they can grow around the sides?

Are there any companion plants I can plant with the tomato plants that you would recommend? Someone recommended French Marigold to me, so I don't know whether that would be a good choice or not. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
suddensam(10 Boynton Beach)

Bless you my son, for you obviously dont know thattttttttt, you dont tug on supermans cape, you dont spit in the wind, and you dont plant tomatos in hanging baskets.
against the wind, we were running against the wind. Good luck in your adventure.

Plant em if you got em.
Sam

Bookmark   April 19, 2011 at 1:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
organic_wonderful

The tomatoes I have are special varieties that have been bred for hanging baskets and patio growing. Some of the seed packets even say 'perfect for hanging baskets' and have photos of the tomatoes in hanging baskets.

Sorry, I don't know why I didn't ask this (I must have got confused when typing out the post) - instead of the plastic inside the coco liner, can I just put one of those plastic round trays that you put under plant pots to collect run off at the bottom of the hanging basket? I've read that if you place one at the bottom, it helps retain water in the hanging basket and could be a substitute. Is this right?

Bookmark   April 19, 2011 at 6:12PM
More Discussions
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
meyer lemon tree leaves yellowing
I have a meyer lemon tree and I brought it in for the...
mlmib
Aglaonema - help
I bought this red aglaonema couple of months back....
bluehaven_gweb
Help with 5:1:1
Some lol-basic questions about quantities needed for...
containergardenerbeginner
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™