Using landscape fabric in a container garden

LmnissenApril 25, 2012

I'm starting to set up several containers for various plants.(tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant, peppers, carrots, bush beans, cukes and beets) This is going to be a bit of an experiment because I'm using containers of various sizes from 3 gallon - 31 gallon. I'm planning on creating a variation of the earthtainer but only using one storage bin per container(because of cost). Is the landscape fabric a necessity?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

I think you need to explain a little more. How can it be an earthtainer, which is self watering, if you are only using one container?

Bookmark   April 25, 2012 at 8:53PM
dirtguy50 SW MO z6a(6a)

I made one with only one container but had to cut the top out to make the bottom level above the the water level. Is that what are you are thinking about?

Bookmark   April 25, 2012 at 10:07PM
rnewste(8b NorCal)

Thew function of the Landscape Fabric is two-fold.

First, It keeps the Grow Media from falling through the aeration holes down into the water reservoir.

Second (and most important) it inhibits the tomato plant's roots from driving down into the water reservoir, which in my experience, leads to bland tasting tomatoes. Have you ever tasted a really vibrant Hydroponic tomato - - probably not.

You can figure out how to prop up the container's lid to make a platform for the Grow Media - - but at the end of the day, is it really worth all the fiddling around to "save" $14.00 or so? I think not.

Raybo

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 2:13AM
lynneblack

I have SIP planters I made with 18 gallon plastic bins, and I only use one. I cut the inner part of the lid out and use cable ties to secure six 2 3/4" pieces of ABS to support the lid, I still have the outer portion of the lid to secure plastic or landscape fabric at the top. I can't see any advantage to using two containers except for the small amount of extra work involved in cutting the ABS and securing it to the lid.

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 10:47PM
Lmnissen

Thanks for the replies. I never had any hydroponic veggies, but bland tasting ones sorta defeats the purpose of growing my own so I'm definitely going to use the landscape fabric. I am using the inner area of the lid with drilled holes to create the platform. Its going to be supported with 4 small plant baskets and the one wicking basket secured in the center. The outer part of the lid will still be used to secure the plastic on the top. Because I'm doing this as a type of community garden I'm making several of these so using only one bin saves me almost $200. :)

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 8:22PM
More Discussions
meyer lemon tree leaves yellowing
I have a meyer lemon tree and I brought it in for the...
mlmib
To find popular threads try this...
When you are looking for popular threads from the GW...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Potting into Air Pots, root length question
Hello all, My question is, air pots are supposed to...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™