Wood (dog eared) onto existing chain link

dandcpFebruary 9, 2007

I have a 12foot high chain link fence along my backyard and I would like to have a bit more privacy so am planning to attach a 6 foot wood fence to the chain link.

What I am thinking of doing is just attach the 2x4 stringers to the metal posts. But how? since I can't go to the otherside of the tall fence very easily I was thinking I would just drill a hole into the pole and screw some sort of a lag bolt through the stringer into the pole. What is the best way to do this? Or what sort of bolt should I use? I don't want to have to tap the hole but just attach the stringer somehow.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karinl(BC Z8)

Is it your chainlink fence or does it belong to a neighbour or some municipal body?

Bookmark   February 9, 2007 at 7:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hemnancy(z8 PNW)

There are metal rings with tabs that can be placed around the pole then bolts are run through holes in the tabs to bolt the wood on. Then the holes are in the wood not the pole, and the pole is not weakened. I once attached a wooden fence to a chainlink fence like that, but the chainlink fence was a 3' fence on top of a brick block wall so the wood fence rested on the top of the brick block wall. I also may have used the horizontal pole at the top of the fence, not the vertical pole like you would have to use. You need some kind of post going into the ground for stability, I would think, as you wouldn't want the weight of the wood fence hanging from the chainlink fence. Support posts are generally set into concrete.

There are wooden slats that can be woven through the chains on the diagonal that make it much more private, and would not require a lot of costly construction and support. I don't know if you see that as an acceptable solution.

Bookmark   February 12, 2007 at 6:11PM
More Discussions
Landscape Advice Needed | New Homeowners
We just purchased our first home in the southeast and...
Sarah Bain
Help! My new front yard is UGLY! Any ideas appreciated!
Do I keep the stone flower bed edge? I was told it...
amynatashahowell
tall hedge or tress for privacy screen.
I have posted this before in older forums. Not able...
ritholtz47
the bane of my existence - what to plant in driveway ribbon???
I live in a historic district... the board has to approve...
lovetorenovate
To Tree Or Not To Tree, That Is The Question
Oh, Spring. That special time when you re-evaluate...
Shan
Sponsored Products
Sterling Silver 12-Light Clear Heritage Handcut Crystal Chandelier, 29W x 38H x
Bellacor
Allegretto Three-Light Pendant in Platinized Silver Leaf Finish
Bellacor
James Martin Furniture Castilian 72 in. Double Vanity - Aged Cognac Multicolor -
Hayneedle
Redding Station Outdoor Pendant
Lightology
'Drink' Wall Sign
$34.99 | zulily
42" Matthews Vent Bettina Chrome and Wood Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
Sunpan Beijing Modern Floor Lamp
Overstock.com
Simple Stripes Art Print
$20.99 | Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for: