Designing a garden around my fish pond

614Tiger2(6)February 9, 2011

I have a 5ft.oval shaped fish pond that I would like to design a flower garden around that comes back every year and attracts humming birds and butterflies. What kind of plants should I use? Can you name the different flowers that I should use? I live in Portsmouth, Ohio.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
theresa2(z5)

You can plant anything you want next to a fish pond so long as you pick plants that are likely to thrive in the spot given the conditions.

Personally I like to see ponds that mimic a look that you might see in nature. To achieve this kind of look, it often takes a lot of fussing, trial and error, to get it to look just right.

It's usually a good idea not to shade your pond too much with perimeter plantings because water lilies and an assortment of other exciting submergent aquatics require an abundance of sunlight to thrive and flower. While you want the pond to be in sunlight, you should compliment a full sun pond with water plants such as water lilies to shade the immediate surface of the pond which will in turn keep algae growth to a minimum.

Bookmark   February 11, 2011 at 2:30PM
theresa2(z5)

I think I got a little off tract with my last post because I have a lot of experience with ponds and I wanted to give you insight into the big picture of pond design. But to answer your question about specific plants that attract hummers and/or butterflies I've had great success with great blue lobelia, cardinal flower, butterfly weed, bergamot, beardtongue, asters, and butterfly bush. A search around the internet can give you more ideas I'm sure.

Bookmark   February 11, 2011 at 3:00PM
violet_2010(6a)

To show off a pond I would suggest lower plants. Not to invasive ones. I have tried taller plants and couldn't see through them as they got larger.I have ornamental grasses and speed-well mixed with just a few scented geraniums. I put a few annuals in to brighten it up all summer. I live about 60 miles from you, it is good to know we are neighbor's. What kind of fish do you have and how many for that size pond?

Bookmark   February 11, 2011 at 10:05PM
kittykat_ll(7)

Check out this website it has a list of plants that are good to use around and in your pond. It also has a list of Toxic Plants.
I hope this helps
Lisa
http://www.koi-pond-guide.com/koi-gardens.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Koi Gardens

Bookmark   February 13, 2011 at 2:57PM
614Tiger2(6)

To answer the question on fish. I just have regular gold fish, approximately 10 of them.

Bookmark   February 13, 2011 at 11:01PM
More Discussions
Need privacy in backyard on three sides (zone 6)
I really like my neighbors but I live in the suburbs...
stlmom77
Stained concrete vs. Integrated Concrete
Hello, I am redoing my backyard, and pouring new concrete....
sillysally
What can I put here for privacy
I bought this house 18 months ago and I'm not certain...
Carlton Clay
Wind, sun and what best fits my backyard
Hi everyone! Please ignore the grass situation, will...
Bama_Joe
need help regrading
hi, currently the mulch surrounding my home foundation...
mishyq
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™