bush beans in 3 gallon buckets?

kawaiineko_gardener(5a)April 17, 2013

I have 3 gallon containers that are circular. They have a depth of about 10"-12". I was wondering if I could grow bush beans in them? If so, how many plants per container without overcrowding them and while still getting decent yields?

The beans I'm considering are lima/baby lima, filet green beans, green beans, and baby soy beans.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

1 maybe 2. If you grow 2, they will compete for space and be smaller.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 8:27PM
Steve, Z (6Bground,5B roof) Cincy,OH

To my understanding true potting soil is a space medium through which plant roots spread and water and nutrients spread and flow very slowly through to provide a three dimensional root and hydroponics water solution to the roots that may only have to get recharged once a day. Try this, 6 plants to one bucket placed on a pedestal and a 2 .5 ft radius around for the beans to spread. The beans will grow up then outward to get the space they need. They will start to hang down over the edge of the bucket and reach out even farther. As long as the roots get the water and nutrients they need, sunlight and space become the limiting factor. I over plant my spaces the same way and it works. Experiment with one bucket first to perfect your system.

Good luck

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 8:36PM
charlieboring

Sounds interesting. I have six cantelope plants that I need to grow in containers. Any suggestions?

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 7:22AM
Steve, Z (6Bground,5B roof) Cincy,OH

Plants have two different types of root systems, Those that look like upside down trees and those that spread way beyond the plant like a grape vine. beans, pepper, eggplants, onion, beets, broccoli,and potatoes all have contained root systems. squash and melons sweetpotato have roots that go all over the place and probably won't grow well. The plants will grow well at first then shut down a good bit. The smaller the fruit the more likely you'll do ok. On the other hand if you have very light weight soil, it will act as a 3 dimensional hydroponic system but you will have to provide a flow of water. Give it a try, but don't bank on it and don't let more than one mellon grow at a time system. I

Good luck

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 9:12AM
More Discussions
Testing mycorrhizal fungus inoculant in containers
So I have decided to test a mycorrhizal fungus inoculant...
Bob1016
What to plant in 4 1/4 Gallon Food Grade Buckets?
I was recently given about 20 4 1/4 gallon food grade...
MikeinPA_Zone5b
Browning Zinnia leaves
One of my Zinnia's leaves are starting to turn brown....
patio_garden
container mixture
hi, Can someone give tips on how to choose composting...
s501nano
Soil for elephant ear plant?
I'm getting ready to plant an elephant ear plant in...
bunky_mi
Sponsored Products
David Trubridge Design | Flax Pendant Light - Stained
YLighting
Xavier Desk - Coffee Bean Coffee Bean
Joybird Furniture
Lairemore Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
Larson Sofa - GRAY
$2,690.00 | Horchow
Olea Area Rug II
Home Decorators Collection
Jelly Belly Candy Company Vending Machine
FRONTGATE
2nd Avenue Lighting Lakeshore 21-Light 54'' Wide Grand Chandelier
LuxeDecor
Konitz Coffee Collage Mega Mugs (Set of 4)
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™