Grow ginkgo tree in pot?

kal2002April 20, 2009

I have a ginkgo tree that is about 6 feet tall. It was planted in the ground during spring last year. It came in a 5-gallon container. I would like to grow it in a pot instead. Does anyone know if it will survive in a big clay pot? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Sure it will do well in a pot ....... with a little research on how to proceed. Containerized ginko are traditionally grown in the . If you've got what it takes to make the cut, I'll help you develop it. ;o)

Al

Bookmark   April 20, 2009 at 9:07PM
kal2002

Hi Al,

Right now, the tree is in regular tree form with a trunk and a few branches. Can it continue to grow this way instead of the 'flame' style?

Bookmark   April 21, 2009 at 1:12AM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Sure - you may wish to shorten it, though - unless you have a strategy for keeping it from toppling.

Al

Bookmark   April 21, 2009 at 9:23AM
kal2002

That is a good idea but how do I shorten it? Prune it from the top? I was thinking of planting it in a 15" or 18" terra cotta pot and hope that it will not topple.

Bookmark   April 23, 2009 at 3:25PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Just chop it at 2/3 of the height you want it to end up at.

These are Styrax japonica trees (Japanese snowbell) with 3-4" trunks that I had growing on for several years in raised beds as bonsai material. They were over 8 ft tall when I dug them a couple of weeks ago and chopped them back to around 12-15" tall. After they flush out & I see what the trees tell me about what shape they want to take, I'll be reducing them so the trunks are prolly going to be under 8" from the soil line. I've done this sooo many times - I have no worry about survival or that the tree is only a few years from being something very beautiful.

Oh yeah - how do you like the soil? ;o)

Pretty powerful looking roots, aren't they? In bonsai, the most important part of the tree are the roots and how well they connect to the tree. The trees already looks ancient and they don't even have any branches yet.

No guts - no glory. ;o) Gonna take the plunge?

Al

Bookmark   April 23, 2009 at 5:42PM
kal2002

Nice looking roots. Are there bark and rocks on top of the soil? I don't think I am going to cut mine that short because I might use it as a short shade tree. I don't want it to grow much taller than 6' though or it just might topple over. Even if I don't use it as a short shade tree, I don't think I have the guts to chop it down to 12" tall. That takes a lot of courage.....

Bookmark   April 23, 2009 at 8:13PM
More Discussions
What to do with used potting soil?
Hi folks, For those of you who have a lot of containers...
andy_e
Root bound jasmine separation
HI.. It is a first time I disturbed a rootball of...
amriteanukul112
What size pot to use for sweet potatoes
Would someone please tell me what size pot I can grow...
zzackey
Transplanting between containers
I'm looking for a rule of thumb for proper transplanting,...
cakbu z9 CA
Can a peat based mix be used for 2 seasons?
Hello - Considering compaction, etc can a peat based...
briana_2006
Sponsored Products
Wildwood Tree Trunk Turning Wood Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Tree of Life Stag
$34.99 | Dot & Bo
Mahogany Bronze Whitehaus WHKPFSLV3-9000 Retractable Kitchen Pot Filler
$359.00 | Blue Bath
Sterling Vista Pivot II 1505D-31N-G51 31.25W x 65.5H in. Moraine Shower Door - 1
$552.99 | Hayneedle
Imperial Cat Holiday All-American Cat Kit Gift Set - 01184H
$31.97 | Hayneedle
ViaVolt 600-Watt HPS White Grow Light System with Timer/Remote Ballast and Refle
Home Depot
Solid Hardwood: Millstead Flooring Vintage Maple Natural 3/4 in. Thick x 4 in.
$6.58 | Home Depot
Stratus Blue Silicone Potato Masher
$11.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™