input for paver patio

magnolia_lee(8)February 17, 2014

Reposting this query here (originally in home forum)

I want to put in a paver patio into part of my yard immediately adjacent to the house (off the kitchen). Currently it's a muddy grassy mess and I'd love for it to be an inviting outdoor area to sit and eat when it's nice.
I want to make sure that I set it up to handle water run off well. There is already a drain that pipes into the sewer for run off from a cement walkway (visible at bottom of photo). It's hard to tell from the photo, but the corner of the house slopes away from the house (to the southwest - photo is facing south). My instinct is to angle it to direct water to the drain. Anyone have thoughts on this?

This is the first time I've done a project of this magnitude - plan is to excavate top layer of sod and down a bit, lay gravel, sand, pavers... Haven't picked the pavers yet. The area is approx 8' x 13'. I've been looking through tips and guides on DIY sites, but if there's any insight anyone feels like shining my way, I'll be all ears. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marcinde(7)

to get the water to flow into the drain appropriately you'll need to set up some compound pitches with your finished patio. Think of taking a sheet of rubber and pulling down with your thumb on the middle of an edge. That's adventure club territory.

It would be a heck of a lot easier to do the whole patio as a flat plane, pitched to one side. Am I reading correctly that you can do this pitched towards the fence (away from where you stood to take the pic)?

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 7:12PM
yardvaark

The picture doesn't give much context. It would be better if you explain your plan, show a proposed layout and let us see a picture of where it will go.

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 8:04PM
yin49

I don't understand your situation enough.I try to do some.

Bookmark   February 18, 2014 at 2:52AM
magnolia_lee(8)

I'll try to put together a better diagram of what I'm talking about.

Bookmark   February 18, 2014 at 4:18PM
More Discussions
Landscape advice for front yard please!
We have just moved into a house in SoCal - zone 10...
glitzalicious
Privacy for Small Yard - Help!
Hi All! First time poster - LONG TIME reader! I'm in...
rsislow
Where to find 3/8" minus gravel in NY/NJ??
Our community garden is planning to rehabilitate our...
heavens123
Landscaping front yard, zone 5. HELP!!!! :)
We have recently done some work to our front yard (tearing...
midwestmelissa
Shrubs need to get pulled out U-G-L-Y
Hi Forum Members: I recently bought my house and the...
dmo12240
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™