Is this damping off?

delonwheels(6a)February 7, 2013

I noticed the first leaf of of my onion seedlings drooping yesterday. Today, it has wilted completely. I know that once the cotelydon eventually withers and dies, but I thought that happened after the third true leaf appeared.

Yesterday I was transplanting some shallots from an APS tray and noticed a tiny bit of white mold near the capillary mat. Now I'm nervous about some kind of terrible disease (although the shallots seem to be OK so far).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Looks like perfectly normal growth to me. As new leaves emerge as you have there it is normal for the lower one to be pushed/lay over. I usually snip some of the length of it off just to lessen the weight pulling against the stem.

You can read the FAQ here on Damp-off for more details but it attacks the stem at the soil line.

Over on the Growing from Seed forum there is also a FAQ on the white "mold" (actually a fungus you are seeing and what to do about it.

Dave

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 8:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
planatus(6)

Onion seedlings let go of that first seedling leaf at about the time the second and third true leaves appear. When the seedling leaf starts looking funky I snip it off and remove it. Like Dave, once or twice a week I trim tops and withering leaves, which increases light penetration and keeps the seedlings upright while limiting possible diseases from rotting tissues. I also sprinkle a little dry seed-starting mix around the base of the plants once they are up and growing.

This all gets easier in a few weeks, when you can expose your onion seedlings to natural light in a cold frame. That's when they stiffen up and stop looking so wimpy.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 9:02AM
More Discussions
Need advice on setup
I am in charge of a community garden at my place of...
Brandon Smith
cutworms and diatomaceous earth
I had regular problems with cutworms and seedlings....
daninthedirt
Problem Peas - germination
Can anyone advise me on the best way of getting peas...
Steve Kind
Planting two seeds. Should I keep both?
I've always heard you should plant 2-3 seeds per container...
asunk00
What's up with these basil plants?
I planted these into my garden bed a week ago. I’ve...
Kim Kimura
Sponsored Products
GLOBE Outdoor Lighting. Classic 35-Watt Outdoor Sodium Brown Photocell Security
$99.00 | Home Depot
Safavieh Jonathan Storage Off White Flip-top Ottoman
Overstock.com
Castel Harbor Rectangular Dining Table
FRONTGATE
Ribbed Drum White Silk Shade
Overstock.com
Wall Mount Styling Station
$8.99 | zulily