bt and svb

veggievicki(7b)February 1, 2014

I've seen a few videos on youtube where bt was injected into the stem of squash vines that had been infested by SVB. The technique was using a large syringe and injected the BT in above the infested area. I was wondering what the life of BT is and if you could periodically inject as a preventative as opposed to waiting until after you've spotted frass.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woohooman

I don't get SVB's but I've heard of BT being used in that manner -- also spinosad.

I use BT as a preventative for cabbage loopers and hornworms. Mainly because I know that they'll eventually come and BT doesn't work nearly as well on older, bigger caterpillars. They tell you to identify first, but I don't have the patience to search an 8' tall tomato plant for something that totally blends into the foliage.

It may cost me more in the long run, but I sleep better using it as a preventative. I'd feel different if BT wasn't so harmless to other beneficials also. I just spray it every 2-3 weeks from the get go and the last few years, no problems with the hornworms.

Kevin

Bookmark   February 1, 2014 at 7:58PM
little_minnie(zone 4a)

I have done it but it wasn't as easy as it sounds. The Bt runs out of the holes in the stem and the stem can be very hard to pierce. However it is a good thing if you logistically can get the job done.

Bookmark   February 1, 2014 at 8:18PM
planatus(6)

It's not too hard as long as you inject enough to run down the stem to where they are feeding. They have to eat some of it, whether you use bt or spinosad.

If you use a small needle, you can also poke it here and there where you think the borers are feeding and kill them that way. You can do this with a long sewing pin, too. After you've performed enough squash autopsies, you know where to poke.

Bookmark   February 2, 2014 at 6:51AM
little_minnie(zone 4a)

LOL! Ain't that the truth!

Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 8:46PM
veggievicki(7b)

Here in Arkansas it's not a question of if you'll get SVB, it's how many squash you can harvest, if any, before you do. We moved back into town and I just don't have the space for succession planting, so I'm doing as much research as I can to try to keep my originals alive and prospering.

Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 10:05PM
jbraun_gw

I moved back to Missouri 3 years ago. The first year I was to busy to start my garden. The last 2 years though I've lost all of my summer squash. Now I know what the problem is so I can take preventative measures.

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 2:18PM
jbraun_gw

I moved back to Missouri 3 years ago. The first year I was to busy to start my garden. The last 2 years though I've lost all of my summer squash. Now I know what the problem is so I can take preventative measures.

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 2:19PM
ltilton

I find the best tool for this is a meat syringe, meant for injecting butter or flavoring liquids into meat before cooking. It has a large bore, a sharp enough end to pierce the stem, and a large capacity.

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 4:32PM
More Discussions
Using landscape fabric instead of hilling potatoes?
I've got a large veggie garden that gets out of control...
fireweed22
soil-less medium
I have been reading past posts on what medium to plant...
sma_gal
Row covers for warmth
Couple questions about using row covers mostly for...
joeschmoe80
Leek starting woes
I'm having trouble getting my leeks going. A couple...
bart1
which tomato seeds to get?
Live in zone 9b (about 60 miles North of Galveston...
new-beginning
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™