Soil cement over crumbling asphalt?

javamom66February 1, 2014

We are using a crumbling asphalt driveway as a long patio (thanks for previous helpful replies on what to do with this area!). Is it crazy to think about installing a layer of soil cement over the remains of the asphalt?

It needs to be resurfaced to make it more user friendly -- very hot on bare feet and the asphalt "gravel" gets tracked everywhere. With kiddos in college, we are seeking budget-friendly solutions to get through the next 3-5 years or so. Long-term goal is to tear it all out.

Last year I purchased a light beige asphalt sealer hoping that would help, but our spring and summer were too rainy to apply it. Now I think the driveway has crumbled to the point where sealing it is no longer an option.

Any experience with soil cement to share? I am thinking about buying bags of soil, not using soil from our yard, so I think the level or organic material would be less.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardvaark

There are a lot of variables. My only experience with soil cement was limited and long ago. It took more cement than I would have guessed so the work self destructed over one winter. Hard freezing turned it all back into soil. Soil with little organic matter would be best.

Bookmark   February 2, 2014 at 11:57PM
More Discussions
Brick Patio from Salvaged bricks
I came by about 600 nice clean used bricks for free...
oldgardenguy_zone6
Shrubs need to get pulled out U-G-L-Y
Hi Forum Members: I recently bought my house and the...
dmo12240
garden design ideas for a raised brick flower bed.
Every year I try with all my might to do something...
midwestmelissa
Need help with plant selection....
Any ideas of what plants I can plant between the dark...
Roy_R
Where to find 3/8" minus gravel in NY/NJ??
Our community garden is planning to rehabilitate our...
heavens123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™