what crops are best to plant in earthboxes?

kawaiineko_gardener(5a)April 25, 2013

I know that any veggie (supposedly) can be grown in an earthbox, at least according to the claim on their site, and their planting guidelines for earthboxes.

However I've read reviews on them and some crops get either reduced yields or reduced size in fruit (in comparison to growing them in the ground or using another method of gardening); generally I've heard tomatoes will grow in earthboxes but the fruit size of larger varieties is reduced.

I've seen the same thing (suppposedly) with peppers.

This isn't from personal experience, it's just based on recommendations (via the reviews I've read via some sites) on what does and doesn't do well in earthboxes.

Are there certain crops that work better and get better yields with earthboxes compared to others? If so, what?

I have 10 of them, and I don't want to waste space and plants planting something in an earthbox, if it will get better yields and grow better using another method of gardening.

I was thinking of beans and okra, but will the yields be reduced from planting beans in an earthbox?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ronalawn82(z9FL)

kawaiineko_gardener, I would recommend that you take the time to understand how the earth-box works.
Thereby you can manage the inputs of medium (the physical properties of), fertilizer (analysis and placement of) and the water replenishment frequency of the reservoir.
Choose the crop, match all the foregoing to its requirements and you will probably be satisfied.
My instincts warn me that okra and beans will need careful consideration but if you can bring those to the table, it will be well worth (in the culinary sense) the effort.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 1:51PM
More Discussions
Repotting into 5-1-1 soil. Questions about 511 materials.
Hey all! I am a newbie with 5 container citrus. Right...
emilygreenie
fertilizing cuttings ?
Hello - I have some fig cuttings in 60% perlite/40%...
briana_2006
Best glue for terracotta pots?
Yes I did. Left some of my pots outside and now they...
keepingon
gritty mix modification question
Sorry, I had a response to this question before but...
briana_2006
What size pot to use for sweet potatoes
Would someone please tell me what size pot I can grow...
zzackey
Sponsored Products
Stars Boot Tray
Grandin Road
Jaipur Rugs Flux FL08 Area Rug - Tulip Purple - RRC001099-0014
$62.00 | Hayneedle
Innova Bamboo Plant Stand - C339-73
$52.82 | Hayneedle
Kenroy Home Full Bloom Fountain
Lamps Plus
Heracleum II LED Suspension by Moooi
$3,711.00 | Lumens