When to repot a Pothos

zensaiyanApril 25, 2007

When should a pothos plant be repotted? I have a large pothos plant, probably 15 ft. vines, and I can barely put a finger into the soil because the roots are so thick. I was wondering if it would be beneficial to repot the plant. The plant remains strictly indoors at all times. When I repot, would it be beneficial to loosen the soil/replace with new soil? I have had this plant for about 5 years and have always top watered. Would this be a problem for the plant? I have read that this can be problematic. Can anyone provide an inexperienced planter with some advice? I greatly appreciate the help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

When should a pothos plant be repotted? Whenever growth is adversely affected because of root-bound conditions, or there is evidence that the soil has failed structurally. These conditions will be evidenced by dying leaves and/or a general slowing of stem extension or a reluctance to extend at all.color> I have a large pothos plant, probably 15 ft. vines, and I can barely put a finger into the soil because the roots are so thick. I was wondering if it would be beneficial to repot the plant. Yes, of course it would. color>The plant remains strictly indoors at all times. When I repot, would it be beneficial to loosen the soil/replace with new soil? Remove the root mass & cut the bottom 1/3 of roots off the plant. Then, with a sharp knife or garden scissors, remove another 10-20% of roots around the perimeter of the root mass. Additionally, you can make several vertical scores in the root mass. Remove loose soil & add new as you return to same container, or pot up a size if using a bagged soil.color> I have had this plant for about 5 years and have always top watered. Would this be a problem for the plant? No. Top watering is superior to wick or bottom watering in that it helps flush accumulating metal/fertilizer salts from the soil, where wick watering does the opposite. You shouled always make sure you're growing in a soil that insures you can water this copiously w/o risking root rot issues from extended periods of saturated soil. color>I have read that this can be problematic. I would disregard what you read. Sorry, but you'll find much unfounded, anecdotal advice w/o scientific support floating around.color> Can anyone provide an inexperienced planter with some advice? No. ;o)color> I greatly appreciate the help.

Alcolor>

Bookmark   April 28, 2007 at 12:09PM
More Discussions
Trying Petunias indoors
I thought that I would try to grow some Petunias indoors,...
nopets
Question about too much dryness in my container garden
I have several Behlen food-grade stocktanks (1x2x6)...
catherinet
Al and others..Foliage Pro fertilizer?
I just wanted to get an update on what you think of...
meyermike_1micha
Any issues planting in copper pots?
I have some old copper containers I want to use for...
garden_dogs
Need help!..white spots on my lemon seedlings!!
I recently found white spots on the leaves of my lemon...
Kavitha Raghunath
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™