bagged mix for fabric containers

NottheonlydreamerApril 15, 2012

Hello everyone - I'm new to GW and am hoping to find some help for what seems to be overwhelming me (it's what I get for spending too much time here).

This year, I'm trying fabric containers for the first time (friend of mine had extras and gave me some) hoping to get a better yield than planting in-ground (clay).

I know everyone's a huge fan of Al's mixes and I'd love to try 'em however, the challenge for me is finding the ingredients here and, more importantly, having to screen and mix enough for several fabric pots. I have a back injury that limits what I can do in the garden. I can get a friend to help me pour potting mix into a few containers but I'm simply not going to ask someone to run around all over town to get ingredients then come home and screen and mix up a bunch of it for me.

So (to the die-hard "Al's Mixers" - I apologize in advance for what I'm about to ask)....is there anyone else in southern California (or locatin with hot, dry summers) using a bagged mix for fabric pots? Can you make a recommendation?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
augiedog55

I'm using fabic pot this yr myself. I've put a 4th of July hybred in a 5 gallon smart pot.This will give me my tomato fix until i put out the other 20 plants come early may.lol I put it out during the day and bring in at night.Its still chilly in Mo. at night. This tomato is growing like crazy. The first set of blooms i got 5 tomatoes on.I'm using 60% miracle grow and 40% cow manure. I'm fertilizing with tomato tone. I've had plant 5weeks but I'm very happy with the results..It may just be luck

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 7:24PM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

I've grown veggies in smart pots for four years and grew them in Al's 5-1-1 mix for the first time last year. I am a complete convert now. And please note that you don't need to screen anything for 5-1-1. But, since you've already made up your mind, I will say I had decent results using three parts good quality potting mix (Metromix 510, which includes composted bark) to one part compost. If your fabric container is large enough (at least 10-15 gallons) and in contact with the ground, you can use a heavier mix than you would need in a plastic pot.

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 10:03PM
augiedog55

Not the dreamer., The miracle grow i used was "potting mix" Not potting soil

Bookmark   April 17, 2012 at 1:49PM
Nottheonlydreamer

Thanks to everyone for your input!

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 10:02AM
More Discussions
Coarse Perlite for 5:1:1
Hi all, first off is "coarse" the correct...
halocline
Any issues planting in copper pots?
I have some old copper containers I want to use for...
garden_dogs
Al and others..Foliage Pro fertilizer?
I just wanted to get an update on what you think of...
meyermike_1micha
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Buckeye re-potting - Trees in Containers (pics)
Hello and good afternoon, container gardeners! California...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™