Recycled containers question.

gardenman101(Z6 Spingfield, Ma)April 14, 2012

I have access to some cantianers at work, they are 5gal containers. I was thinking of using them to grow hot peppers and eggplanrs. The only issue is they contained some chemicals in them. My question is can they be cleaned with anything to make them usable? I ask, cus we throw tons of them away, and containers can get a bit pricey. If i cant use them so be it, but free is nice..lol, ty for any advice. I do have some regular 5gal painters buckets i use as well as totes (30gal with holes drilled in them) But like I said free would be nice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dirtguy50 SW MO z6a(6a)

It depends on what chemicals were in them. Do you know? If you don't, then pass as free might poison you.

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 11:40PM
gardenman101(Z6 Spingfield, Ma)

Yea, the chem is listed as corrosive, but wasnt sure weather A) They could be cleaned and B) Becuase they aremade of plastic weather the can or cant absorb the chemicals. Well if im going to use them its just for flowers. Thanks for the quick response.

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 11:43PM
dirtguy50 SW MO z6a(6a)

Clean them real good and sanitize with some bleach dilution. If for flowers only, it might be just fine. For vegs, maybe not. Good luck and show us some beautiful flowers in a couple of months. lol

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 11:56PM
gardenman101(Z6 Spingfield, Ma)

Will do. I dont think that I will attempt any kinda Veggies in them, so flowers it will be.

Bookmark   April 15, 2012 at 9:15PM
More Discussions
Apartment composting and container gardening.
Any tips or tricks using apartment compost with your...
newgardenelf
Aglaonema - help
I bought this red aglaonema couple of months back....
bluehaven_gweb
Need help identifying a few plants from a photo
Can someone please identify the plants used in this...
Merci Ava Maria
Al and others..Foliage Pro fertilizer?
I just wanted to get an update on what you think of...
meyermike_1micha
Type of kale... Also, shiny metallic flakes?
Hey, my friend gave me some kale seeds from her plants...
Josie Murray
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™