Anyone ever blow sand under a house?

swampwizFebruary 23, 2010

I will be buying a house very soon, and there is standing water under the house (which of course is on piers.) My home inspector said that the remediation for this problem is to simply blow sand under it. He said that for my house (about 800 ft^2), needing 4" should cost about $1K.

My real estate agent referred me to a contractor who said it would cost $3.5K! I called my home inspector again, and he said that job estimate was bovine defecation. So I am scrambling around to find someone. Any ideas on how to find someone, and how much it should cost in a generally low labor cost area? (Oh, and I have asked my inspector to consult his Rolodex for referrals.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
inkognito

Don't buy that house. Shall I make it, more Hollywood "Run" more technical "Run away".

Bookmark   February 23, 2010 at 7:31PM
isabella__MA(z5_MA)

The purpose of the sand is to fill in the low spot, so as to change the ground surface elevation to enhance drainage away beneath the house or to provide a drainage layer?

I've lived in a house on piers in the tropics, but I don't recall anyone having to do this.

Bookmark   February 23, 2010 at 7:34PM
laag(z6CapeCod)

Have the seller fix the house and then check it out.

Bookmark   February 23, 2010 at 9:23PM
nandina(8b)

Break in the water line? Quite common problem in the south. Other houses in the area built on piers with the underneaths finished for parking and storage and this one does not? Beware. Mosquito breeding spot? In 'gator territory? Does it appear that they have been excavating and resting under the house? Underneath of house have mildew? If a northern property this situation would not be common. Think twice about buying this property.

Bookmark   February 24, 2010 at 9:50AM
agupton

Did it recently rain or is the water table this high? I'm guessing your property is in the south, probably a sandy soil with high water table and no risk of freezing. If this is the case, then you do have to worry about mold. Did the inspector not notice mold or is there signs of mold issues being addressed from the previous owner. Ask the owner if there has been any issues with the water. I agree with above, tell the owner to fix it. The purpose of the sand is to fill the grade up above the water table. The water table may fluctuate with the rain, so the water table may not be constant. Check with the surrounding home owners to see if they have this issue and maybe they can recommend someone.

Bookmark   February 24, 2010 at 4:47PM
More Discussions
Need privacy in backyard on three sides (zone 6)
I really like my neighbors but I live in the suburbs...
stlmom77
garden design ideas for a raised brick flower bed.
Every year I try with all my might to do something...
midwestmelissa
Need help building a retaining wall
Hi all this is my first post so I hope I can get some...
jeffboyardeee
adding curb appeal to our home
Hi, ** I also posted this in the tips and techniques...
aligal266
Small Tree Suggestions
I have a 20 x 20 concrete patio that I'd like to put...
kristinainaustin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™