Zone 5 - Anything I can do now to prepare?

iamzvonko(5)February 3, 2013

Hi,

This is just my 3rd year of gardening. I expanded my garden quite a bit last year and I'm wondering if there is anything I can do now to help prepare it.

Last fall I planted yellow clover in the new beds. The old beds still have the tomato, pepper & bean plants in them.

When should I cut the clover? When do I pull out the old plants? When I cut the clover, do I just till it in or something else?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thegreatcob

when is you last frost date zones don't matter

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 11:07PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Well weather permitting I'd sure get all the dead old plants out of the garden ASAP. The is normally a fall activity.

As to the clover, plan to mow it (if necessary, often isn't) about 6 weeks before planting. Let it dry a little on the surface and then till the whole cover crop in at least 3 weeks prior to planting time. Any other amendments you plan to add - compost, aged and well- composed manure, fertilizers, etc. - can be added and tilled in at the same time.

Dave

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 11:16AM
sweetquietplace(6 WNC Mtn.)

I like to keep small clumps of clover here and there in my garden. The rabbits will munch on the clover and leave your veggies alone.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 11:41AM
hamiltongardener(CAN 6a)

I'm itching to get out into the garden now. Still way too early, of course. Even if I cleared the snow away, the ground is frozen.

But in a few more weeks, I'll be able to start some of my cool season veggies indoors. At least that's something.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 12:44PM
More Discussions
Woody Parsnips
What causes parsnips to develop wrinkly skin and woody...
qbush
Are winter squash leaves edible?
for example, butternut squash?
takadi
Sincere Question - Why Participate?
If I had found this site from doing a web search because...
soilent_green
pepper with Brown spots
I researched about this disease and it says that a...
keyki5
eggplant not germinating
I put in my eggplant seeds on 1/25 and left them on...
NewTXGardener (8a Dallas)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™