First Time Gardener - Not Doing So Well

WScott84April 25, 2012

First Time Gardener - Not doing so well. We rent so I decided to plant the fruits and vegetables in 10 gallon bins and 1 20 gallon. I live in Denver, CO, and it's pretty dry here. The humidity is usually 40-50% at night and as low as 15% during the day. So I was watering them everyday, yet most of my plants were wilting. Someone suggested I might be watering them too much and this can cause wilting. So I drilled 4, 1/2 in holes in each bin, and 8 in the big bin. I did this yesterday and today, so I am still waiting to see if this helps. I did notice the soil was wet that came out of the drill holes. I also took the plants that I planted in their organic pots, I took them out of the pots and replanted it. I used the pot shards and covering for the soil. I will probably get mulch this weekend. The soil on the top was getting really dry, even though 2 inches down is where it was still moist. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
garf_gw

You don't worry about what the surface is doing. The plant lives farther down.

Bookmark   April 25, 2012 at 11:40PM
suncitylinda

I am sure drilling the holes will help. Plant rarely do well in a planter without drainage.

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 11:32AM
emgardener

Watering every day with no drainage holes and wilting plants .... hmm seems like a good setup to raise fish.

In a dry climate, having mulch helps greatly as it helps prevent the top dryness.

You didn't say what type of soil you have, but if you're willing to (or unable to stop) watering every day, go with the 5:1:1 mix Tapla suggests. If you think you'll burn out from watering every day, use a more peat based mix. In a dry climate a 5:1:1 mix can dry out very fast.

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 4:53PM
dickiefickle(5B Dousman,Wi.)

Defnetly too much watering and you MUST have drain holes.
Do these containers sit on the ground ?
If you can sit them on the ground so you have soil to soil contact(container soil in contact with ground soil )
this will allow any access water to flow from container to the ground soil and keep roots from being waterlogged and dying,as roots need air also,

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 3:05AM
ianna(Z5b)

WScott, ditto what everyone else has said. If your plants have wilted as a result of overwatering, you can bet all those tissues have been damaged. There may be parts that can recover, but usually the cells would have exploded from too much water and there's no recovery from that - especially if this has been happening over a long period. Try it again with new plants and make sure you have good drainage.

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 2:37PM
More Discussions
What's eating/happening to my bougainvillea?!?!?!
The leaves are being scaled and then turing brown with...
ninetyfivem3
Cor-ten planters safe for growing edibles?
I'd like to grow some edibles but the best sun is in...
midwestgal67
Making my garden easy care
I need an easy are garden. Because of ill health ,...
Carry2
I have a cold, south facing porch. What container flowers might grow?
It's cold there now. In a few weeks nothing will free...
Blue Hills Gardens and Designs
Al and others..Foliage Pro fertilizer?
I just wanted to get an update on what you think of...
meyermike_1micha
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™