Dwarf Blueberries in containers

pyrocreationApril 6, 2011

I recently picked up a dwarf tophat and northsky blueberry plant. I hope to keep them inside my apartment in my grow closest since my apartment gets no direct sunlight in any window or on our patio.

My questions boil down to this:

I used miracle grow moisture control mix mixed with sulfur soil acidifier mixed in. How often should I apply this? I was thinking to just add white distilled vinegar to my tap water when watering and just not worry about it.

Do I have to put it outside at all? I know blueberries have a "chilling" requirement, not really sure what to make of that.

Thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

I hate to rain on you, but I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Your plant will want full sun, outdoors in the moving fresh air. It's likely you'll need to use some tricks to help your soil drain properly until the plant gets well-established, and I think just the vinegar, in the right proportions was all you needed for the acidification.

Do be careful to avoid nitrate sources of N. Use a fertilizer that gets its N from urea - like Miracle-Gro.

There are a LOT of threads that address blueberries in containers here, & a search will bring them up. Use the search words 'blueberries nitrate' and you'll get threads with more technical info.

Al

Bookmark   April 7, 2011 at 9:51AM
More Discussions
anything you wanted to talk about vii - prolly mostly ot
I guess I didn't realize the last thread was about...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Soil for elephant ear plant?
I'm getting ready to plant an elephant ear plant in...
bunky_mi
Can a peat based mix be used for 2 seasons?
Hello - Considering compaction, etc can a peat based...
briana_2006
container mixture
hi, Can someone give tips on how to choose composting...
s501nano
What to plant in 4 1/4 Gallon Food Grade Buckets?
I was recently given about 20 4 1/4 gallon food grade...
MikeinPA_Zone5b
Sponsored Products
H. Potter Rectangle Copper/Wrought Iron Berkshire Window Box with Thick Accent M
$197.98 | Hayneedle
Lite Source Nobu LED Steel Gooseneck Clip-On Desk Lamp
Lamps Plus
Everly 42044 Pendant by Kichler
$182.60 | Lumens
Kartell | Mobil
$899.00 | YLighting
Thank You Hamper - N/A
$150.00 | Horchow
Made for One-Gallon Terrarium Kit
| Dot & Bo
Calhoun Chair - Lucky Turquoise Blue
Joybird Furniture
Universal Hugger Brushed Nickel Ceiling Fan with 52-Inch Standard Brushed Nickel
$171.90 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™