Italian green beans...

cream_please(z5 PA)February 4, 2009

are one of my favorites:

are they hard to grow?

my bush beans were prolific last summer...do Italian green beans grow in similar conditions?

TIA

Cream

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
macmex

No, they are no harder than other green beans. There are Romanos which grow in bush form and there are those that grow in pole form.

You might check in on the beans and legumes forum for more suggestions. But I know that Sandhill Preservation Center has both Jeminez and Uncle Steve's Pole (both pole varieties) which are spoken of very highly by many. Someone on that forum could probably point you to a bush Romano (Italian) bean.

George
Tahlequah, OK

Here is a link that might be useful: Sandhill Preservation Center Beans

Bookmark   February 5, 2009 at 6:54AM
mjha

I find that there is a flavor difference between the bush and the pole Romano Italian beans. I prefer the flavor of the pole variety.

I've constructed a series of arches connected with interwoven 6' bamboo poles to support the Romanos. They hang in clusters and are easy to harvest. When well grown, they are prolific. Seeds are usually readily available in local stores.

I've been growing Romanos for well over twenty years and wouldn't consider not growing them. I love green beans and also grow Blue Lakes bush, Triomphe de'Farcy (French) and Oriental winged beans or asparagus benas.

Bookmark   February 5, 2009 at 8:17AM
bella_trix(z6b SE PA)

I'd second Uncle Steve's Italian Pole bean from Sand Hill. It is my absolute favorite bean. You might also check out Franchi Seeds (distributed by Grow Italian). They have several varieties directly from Italy.

Bellatrix

Here is a link that might be useful: Franchi Seeds

Bookmark   February 5, 2009 at 11:55AM
pepperdude

I really like Roma II bush beans. I grew the pole Romano from Burpee last year and was rather dissapointed at the pod size. They were no bigger than, and maybe slightly smaller than, the Roma II bush. I grew them next to two other pole varieties which did fine so I don't think there were any problems with the conditions. I have a feeling that this is not typical of the variety and that they may have a problem with their bean seed not being produced carefully, meaning it is producing too many "off-type" beans.

I'll probably try a different pole romano next year - I've decided this year to try as many kinds of purple pole beans as I can fit in the garden this year to see if there's anything better than my current favorite pole variety which is Violet-podded Stringless. So far I've found Trionfo Violetto and Blauhilde. I know there's at least one other type in the catalogs I have too.

Bookmark   February 5, 2009 at 8:29PM
More Discussions
FRUSTRATED in the California High Desert
I have been trying to grow a garden in the desert for...
zephyr66
Asparagus woes
I piled leaves on my asparagus bed when I cut it back...
nancyjane_gardener
Best kind of mulch for vegetable garden
What kind of mulch is recommended for a veggie garden?...
Peter
over wintering cabbage family for second year seed
I'm interested in which cabbage family vegetables I...
matthias_lang
Romaine Lettuce help
So I plant 3 sets of 3 romaine plants about 2 1/2 weeks...
robbversion1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™