Recommendations for Stack-A-Pot Color

lexie1397April 28, 2011

Hi All!! I recieved as a gift a Stack-A-Pot that I'd like to fill with summer color. I've taken charge of the entire patio this year, save this planter, which my husband is claiming as his own. However, when we've tried using it in the past, we find that it dries out very quickly (my watering can is a bit absent-minded :D) so the plants need to be pretty durable and/or dramatic about their thirst.

We have a couple places it could live once full... a north facing balcony or a landing by the front door that is exposed to the north and east. The area that qualifies as full sun on the balcony is filling up fast but I can make room, the remainder is part shade to deep shade and has LOTS of room. The front step qualifies as full sun, but has bright shade from 11 am onward in mid-summer.

Recommendations????

If it does wind up by the front door, I'd love to have a gentle climber in the top to train on the railing and see if we can't block some of the heat. He'd like to see blue, purple type colors but isn't really picky as long as it's full and lush.

Oh-and I'll probably fill it with leftover organic potting mix from the veggies... sphagnum peat moss, bark and pumice mix from my local garden shop.

Here is a link that might be useful: What is a Stack-A-Pot?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
monet_g

The blue/purple color would make a nice contrast. You might look into the "wave petunias". Whatever you choose you'll need to keep up on the watering in the heat of the summer, unless you decide on cactus or another drought tolerant plant - "hens and chicks"?

Bookmark   April 30, 2011 at 6:14PM
kathi_mdgd

Let me see if photo bucket is my friend today.

Kathi--crossing fingers!!

Bookmark   May 1, 2011 at 5:33PM
kathi_mdgd

TTT for the original poster to see.
Kathi

Bookmark   May 2, 2011 at 4:59PM
lexie1397

Wow, Kathi! So glad to see someone has had great success with their pots. I'm also glad to see that some of the plants my husband chose are doing so well in your stacks.

We wound up with both trailing and mounding lobelia (he couldn't decide which would be best), couple colors of alyssum, and a big creeping phlox with pink and white flowers for the top. I decided to keep my mouth shut while he was shopping, so I'm sure they'll do just fine!

Bookmark   May 2, 2011 at 11:46PM
More Discussions
container mixture
hi, Can someone give tips on how to choose composting...
s501nano
Lateral water movement in 511 mix under drip irrigation
I would appreciate it if someone can give me an indication...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
CRF burn if 5-1-1 sits a while?
I have some 5-1-1 that was fully made, including CRF...
hairmetal4ever
Questions about gritty mix
Hi folks, I am a long time gardener but new to the...
hsw (zone 6, Boston area)
Browning Zinnia leaves
One of my Zinnia's leaves are starting to turn brown....
patio_garden
Sponsored Products
Dynamic Rugs Fantasia 1706 Orange Flower Kids Area Rug - FAFL221706030
$59.99 | Hayneedle
Chrome 8 Diameter Round Rainshower Shower Head & Wall Mounted Arm
Hudson Reed
Area Rug: Clay Cream 2' 6" x 7' 10"
$99.00 | Home Depot
Cow Cake Baking Set
$10.99 | zulily
Peony Serving Platter
$34.50 | FRONTGATE
Green 3528 Single Row LED Strip Light 120/m 10mm wide 5m Reel
EnvironmentalLights.com
Fine Art Lamps Crystal Bakehouse 824550-11ST Two-Light Wall Sconce
LuxeDecor
Sea Gull Lighting Outdoor Lighting. New Castle 1-Light Outdoor Polished Brass Pe
$82.00 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™