How Do I Get Rid Of Those Horrible Wild Onions?

june81948(z6 MA)April 3, 2006

I have what I call wild onions (maybe they are wild chives)growing all around the front perimeter of my house. I painstakingly dug each one out, one at a time (each with it's little onion bulb) last year, and they stayed away for 2 months. Then I saw them come back one at a time until now they have multiplied everywhere. They are tall, green, and curly on the tips. They seem to smother my bushes and they look like tall weeds from the street view. Is there a way to permanently remove them? I don't want to shoot them with a chemical that may be harmful to my adjacent plants and bushes.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lilion

Try pouring boiling water on them or even better pull them and then pour boiling water on the roots left behind. That should work without chemicals being needed.

Bookmark   April 4, 2006 at 10:38AM
OUTofSPITE(NY6)

LOL!
This brings back memories!
When I was about 6 years old I used to pull them up & try to sell them. I made a sign - "Fresh Onions - Just Picked! 5 cents a bunch" & sat in front of my house. Believe it or not, I actually made about a dollar.
Of course people bought them because I was "cute" - not because they needed onions.
It also helped that I sold 5 bunches to my grandfather.
LOL!

Bookmark   April 7, 2006 at 1:32PM
june81948(z6 MA)

someone told me not to pull them up but VERY carefully dig them out one at a time being very careful not to disturb the roots since that is how they spread.

Bookmark   April 7, 2006 at 2:10PM
Mike Larkin

use a small shovel and carefully dig out, If you pull them out - the small bulbets on the side of each bulb come off and regrow in the same spot.

Bookmark   April 12, 2006 at 4:15PM
garden_grammie(SE Pa.)

We sprayed them with Weed Be Gone and they turned yellow and died. I use to dig them as well but that is abit too much to do.

Bookmark   April 14, 2006 at 2:43PM
shellva(Camden 7b/8a)

Sadly there is no EASY non-chemical way to get rid of them. I hand pull and in late fall I put down thick layers of either paperbags or cardboard then mulch on top of that. Some of course still mangage to poke through but those I go after with a shovel. It is a long and tedious process and I'm certain that when all is said and done, the onions will still be here and I won't be! ;)

Bookmark   April 14, 2006 at 4:29PM
HerbLady49(Z6 PA)

Soil where wild onions grow is usually very acid. Spread lime to alkalize your soil and you will find that you get less wild onions. Do not lime near acid loving plants.

Bookmark   April 15, 2006 at 3:54PM
june81948(z6 MA)

Concerning the acid soil and onions. I have arborvitae bushes, holly bushes, and mountain laurels where the wild onions are. They are growing in droves under and around the bushes. I would like to lime, but are these kinds of bushes affected by the lime? Also plant geraniums there too. Would they be okay with the lime? Would I just spread the lime on top of the soil or mix it into the soil?
Janice

Bookmark   April 20, 2006 at 8:58PM
HerbLady49(Z6 PA)

Hi Janice,
Sorry, you can't lime around these bushes. I guess you'll have to dig out the wild onions. Water well so the soil is softer and digging will be easier and then mulch.

Bookmark   April 23, 2006 at 9:14AM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Is there no end to the brass these people have? Scheesch!

It's just a commercial, folks. Scheesch!

Al

Bookmark   April 3, 2008 at 8:01AM
More Discussions
Al's Gritty Mix -- A Learning Experinece
I came to this forum a few weeks ago in an attempt...
Jessicasgrowincitrus
CRF burn if 5-1-1 sits a while?
I have some 5-1-1 that was fully made, including CRF...
hairmetal4ever
Can a peat based mix be used for 2 seasons?
Hello - Considering compaction, etc can a peat based...
briana_2006
Repotting into 5-1-1 soil. Questions about 511 materials.
Hey all! I am a newbie with 5 container citrus. Right...
emilygreenie
Miniature rose plant..
Got this from nursery yesterday .. But something is...
amriteanukul112
Sponsored Products
Abbyson Living Charleston Solid Wood 72-inch TV Console
Overstock.com
RGBDW 5050 ColorPlus LED Strip Light 60/m 12mm wide Foot
EnvironmentalLights.com
Copper Firepit Cover
$69.50 | FRONTGATE
Seletti | The Box Amplifier
YLiving.com
22" Egyptian Marble Bathroom sink + faucet hole - TORRENCE GALALA
Living'ROC