How many eggplants in whiskey barrel?

Lori615(5b (GR, MI))April 20, 2013

I am growing Black Beauty and Fairy Tale eggplants. How many total eggplants should I put in a 25" whiskey barrel?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

Black beauty is very big. I would plant two at most. You could probably grow three of the much smaller Fairy Tales. In Michigan you'd probably get a greater yield in pounds of eggplants from the Fairy Tales.

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 12:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)

I used a 5 gallon bucket per plant. I had to water 2 times a day when the temperatures were over 100 degs. Above 90 degrees I water 1-----2 times per day depending on wind.. Between 80-90 degrees at least 4 times a week below 80 degrees didn't happen I have 55 gallon drums halved. I'll do 4 plants each with drums placed on a 3ft. by 2ft grid.Last year I had 21 peppers and 2 egg plants. They behave very similar to each other and were extremely productive.I also started the plants under lights indoors and was picking peppers as I set the plants out. hears a few links and pictures you might get ideas from.

4ft by 4ft by 2ft growing box CFL lighting 12 bulbs 13 watt each

as the plants get bigger. Click on either pic to open up display in photobucket use arrow keys on key board

the link provided below contains the best picture of my 5 gallon peppers. I was unable to find eggplant pics and thus are not visible but they do a little better than the peppers plants. Click on the link-picture to get more ideas These plants are on the rooftop garden and get moved around to get more or less light depending on the temperature.

YOU SHOULD DO REAL WELL ALLOWING AROUND 4 TO 5 GALLONS SOIL PER PLANT.

Here is a link that might be useful: https://plus.google.com/photos/111099372377958308731/albums/5864651368775846321/5864653495328454770?banner=pwa&authkey=CI763rvAj8eLAg

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 12:56PM
More Discussions
Coarse Perlite for 5:1:1
Hi all, first off is "coarse" the correct...
halocline
Buckeye re-potting - Trees in Containers (pics)
Hello and good afternoon, container gardeners! California...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Apartment composting and container gardening.
Any tips or tricks using apartment compost with your...
newgardenelf
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™