Drainage/wash outs

basketcatMarch 26, 2010

Even after trying to redirect the rain run off our asphalt driveway is lower to one side at the back, and one garden bed is washed out continuously. It is so bad that there are deep ruts where the water runs.

Our house is at a curve in the road and is lower, causing a great deal of water to run down.

I am looking for an inexpensive way to redirect the water to the other side of the driveway where it can't do any damage.

One idea that was suggested was to have an asphalt rim/lip built up, but I'm worried that the water will just continue to rush over it.

I was thinking about some sort of landscape tie, but not sure how to secure them. Should I lay them on the driveway end to end, allowing some water to pass through, or on the lawn?

The ideal solution would be to create a swell to redirect the water in the opposite bed, but there is still the issue of the water that runs down the drive. Another pricey option is to install a drain system. I just don't have that kind of money but desperately want to fix the garden.

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhodium

Grass once it has taken, should avoid any further erosion. Grass is pretty tough, can use the water, and will slow the water velocity down.

Bookmark   March 26, 2010 at 9:56AM
basketcat

There is 5 years of established grass. The water runs through the grass and used the edging of the bed as a track. I have increased and decreased the size of the bed, it makes no difference.
I'll post pictures

Bookmark   March 26, 2010 at 2:54PM
basketcat

Pictures
1. looking up the drive way and direction where water seems to follow
2. standing on driveway looking down on bed
3&4. Close ups of ruts caused by water. There are a few rocks there just to see if it would make a difference.
The pole is an electrical outlet that we had hoped to one day use for a pond. The bed was 2 feet from the pole. I brought it out to the pole and added ground cover that washed away.

Bookmark   March 26, 2010 at 4:22PM
More Discussions
Do any of you see any red flags with this design?
We got a landscape design for our new yard that we...
TyBarr
Ditched my landscaper - yellow pine choice
Going to my local Camellia expert's nursery and just...
Bama_Joe
Women Landscapers?
I am one. Any others out there? Do you hire women workers? If...
lifeflower123
Landscaping front yard, zone 5. HELP!!!! :)
We have recently done some work to our front yard (tearing...
midwestmelissa
Shrubs need to get pulled out U-G-L-Y
Hi Forum Members: I recently bought my house and the...
dmo12240
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™